Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: game speed issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My game speed is almost always too slow, around 40-60%, but my frame rate while mediocre is generally tolerable (20-45fps) I have done all the tweaking to get everything to run fast, and my main issue is now game speed. what should I do?
(06-03-2011, 09:31 AM)ghost55 Wrote: [ -> ]My game speed is almost always too slow, around 40-60%, but my frame rate while mediocre is generally tolerable (20-45fps) I have done all the tweaking to get everything to run fast, and my main issue is now game speed. what should I do?

Since you have done everything else the only thing left is to buy a new computer (preferably desktop with a decent graphic card and cpu).
(06-03-2011, 09:59 AM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2011, 09:31 AM)ghost55 Wrote: [ -> ]My game speed is almost always too slow, around 40-60%, but my frame rate while mediocre is generally tolerable (20-45fps) I have done all the tweaking to get everything to run fast, and my main issue is now game speed. what should I do?

Since you have done everything else the only thing left is to buy a new computer (preferably desktop with a decent graphic card and cpu).

I have a core i5 and an nvidia 310m. It should be more then enough to run gamecube games. also, as I said, the framerate is just fine. Is there any way to have the game run at 100% speed independently of the framerate?
(06-03-2011, 10:24 AM)ghost55 Wrote: [ -> ]

I have a core i5 and an nvidia 310m. It should be more then enough to run gamecube games. also, as I said, the framerate is just fine. Is there any way to have the game run at 100% speed independently of the framerate?

since you are saying 310m, you are meaning you have a laptop.

I5 in laptops are like 2.2-2.6ghz. Which is really not enough to run dolphin at full speed. Thats all that matters, is the cpu clock speed. really nothing else. graphics as low as 5450(maybe even lower) is enough to run at 480P, 400-500mb of ram is enough, but who doesnt have ram/graphics equal to that now days? :3

my 2.4ghz processor can usually run dolphin at 60%+ on most all games, RE4 is the game that runs slowest for me. it really depends on the game really. So maybe you are running too much in the background?
(06-03-2011, 02:20 PM)jbone1337 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2011, 10:24 AM)ghost55 Wrote: [ -> ]

since you are saying 310m, you are meaning you have a laptop.

I5 in laptops are like 2.2-2.6ghz. Which is really not enough to run dolphin at full speed. Thats all that matters, is the cpu clock speed. really nothing else. graphics as low as 5450(maybe even lower) is enough to run at 480P, 400-500mb of ram is enough, but who doesnt have ram/graphics equal to that now days? :3

my 2.4ghz processor can usually run dolphin at 60%+ on most all games, RE4 is the game that runs slowest for me. it really depends on the game really. So maybe you are running too much in the background?

my proc scales between 2.4-2.66GHz. I did have chrome with a ton of tabs open and some downloads going on. I switched to build 6505, and the speed drastically improved (something like 250%) but that build is way less compatible with a lot of my games that have four stars or more for the current build in the wiki.
just a thought, if dolphin is so cpu dependent, maybe it could be way sped up using gpu compute.
2.5ghz is just not enough for dolphin...
3ghz (i-serie) is recommended
(06-03-2011, 05:07 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]2.5ghz is just not enough for dolphin...

so I take it that dolphin does not do multi-threading well? I was considering getting a laptop with a 2.3GHz i7 quad, but if its a clockspeed issue...
(06-03-2011, 05:56 PM)ghost55 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2011, 05:07 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]2.5ghz is just not enough for dolphin...

so I take it that dolphin does not do multi-threading well? I was considering getting a laptop with a 2.3GHz i7 quad, but if its a clockspeed issue...

Good enough, believe me Wink.
dolphin only uses 2cores (3with lle)
so these 2 cores are needing 3ghz+
if the i7 goes with turbo above 2.8ghz,that is enough