Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help with deciding on a new laptop computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Link3324

Hello,

I am looking at laptops because my old one recently broke, and was just curious if what I am looking at right now at would work well with Dolphin. Dolphin is not at all the main reason I am getting a new laptop, but rather I am mainly just interested in getting something with a lot of storage. If Dolphin were to work pretty well on it too then to me that would be a bonus really.

I glanced at some of the other pages that listed specs. and everything but I am honestly not 100% sure about what I am reading. The last time I bought a laptop was about 4 years ago. So I basically just wanted to ask if someone who knows more about it than I do could please just glance at what I am thinking about getting and offer their opinion on how well or not they think Dolphin might work on it before I go ahead and buy it.

I recently narrowed down my search to an Acer Aspire TimelineX AS5820T-6401 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black Brushed Aluminum). Here is the webpage on Amazon which lists it's specifics:
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-TimelineX-AS5..._565108_22

Thank you all very much for your help and opinions. I really do appreciate it.

Laptops aren't that well for Dolphin, get a PC.
(06-03-2011, 03:00 AM)Link3324 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I am looking at laptops because my old one recently broke, and was just curious if what I am looking at right now at would work well with Dolphin. Dolphin is not at all the main reason I am getting a new laptop, but rather I am mainly just interested in getting something with a lot of storage. If Dolphin were to work pretty well on it too then to me that would be a bonus really.

I glanced at some of the other pages that listed specs. and everything but I am honestly not 100% sure about what I am reading. The last time I bought a laptop was about 4 years ago. So I basically just wanted to ask if someone who knows more about it than I do could please just glance at what I am thinking about getting and offer their opinion on how well or not they think Dolphin might work on it before I go ahead and buy it.

I recently narrowed down my search to an Acer Aspire TimelineX AS5820T-6401 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black Brushed Aluminum). Here is the webpage on Amazon which lists it's specifics:

Even though it's an i5 processor, 2.1 GHz ain't goint to cut it. You're going to need something a bit beefier for Wii games. It could do for GC games though.

There's another user in the Dolphin PC Buying guide looking for a laptop - maybe you can follow that conversation for more help?

I'm not much of a laptop guy, sorry. But the ram looks good, it's just that processor seems a bit iffy performance wise...
I got a laptop and it was good to travel & play my GC games Big Grin but if you want performance or if you wanna play wii games yeah you'd better get a PC... but yeah that's quite exciting to play Metroid or other ones wireless Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
(06-03-2011, 03:00 AM)Link3324 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I actually pretty much posted this exact question yesterday. With a little push in the right direction I decided on a Sager with an intel i7 2720qm chip because its quadcore with turbo boost that could bring it up to 3.3 GHz, which a member told me is decent enough to play a lot of games. You could also get something with the 2620m chip, however this is only duel core and it maxes out at the same speed. make sure it is one of these, any other i7 chip, 2630 is usually the one you usually find in most base model i7 laptops, wont even reach 3.0.

Without graphic processor ,you won't be able to play dolphin emu at decent speed
Since you choose Acer , i guess you like the cheapest laptop as possible
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834215004
Or you can go with i5 2410m + Nvidia GT 540 / Ati 6550M (100$ cheaper)

Under 700$ :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834115987
This laptop can play dolphin well but don't expect those heavy games like Super Mario Galaxy (40FPS on my lap).Set Frame skipsping by 1 will boost the performance .Save more buck to buy a cooling fan and upgrade HDD to SSD

Link3324

Thanks a lot for all of your help so far. So are you all pretty much saying that what I originally picked out would play GameCube games just fine, but not really Wii? And admin89, did you mean to say that the first link that you referenced ... (Acer Aspire AS5750G-9639 Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M) ... would definitely be able to play both types of games? If so then I might just get that one.

I'm a little embarrassed to say it, but as helpful as everybody is I'm still seeing hieroglyphics. Is it possible to just list the one or two most important things to look for when making a decision like this, and a few examples of laptops which meet the minimum requirements to get things running smooth? From what I've been reading on other threads so far, I need a "ghz" close to 3 and either an i5 or i7 core-something. Again I apologize but I really don't speak the language...

Originally I did not want to venture past $700, but if for another $100 I could get a laptop that would definitely be able to play GameCube and Wii games on it, perhaps I should lean towards that. As I said before my last one broke and I need to purchase a new one either way. So as long as I'm looking, I just think it would be the coolest thing to be able to pop open the CD drive and load up one of my GameCube disks on my new laptop Big Grin

Thanks again!
I am currently using a i7 2720QM @ 2.2 Ghz and it freely goes up to 3.0 Ghz with Turbo Boost when using Dolphin. I am able to run many games (SMG2 with LLE) at close to full speed or full speed. A 2620M (dual core @ 2.7 Ghz) should give you full speed too and if you look for coupons you should be able to find a laptop in your $800 price range with that processer. Like the other poster said, you definitely need a real graphics card, especially for Wii games. Unfortunately, no laptops are available which can natively read Gamecube or Wii disks in the drive. You'll have to get a compatible LG drive or dump games with your Wii.
Nope , your chosen AS5820T won't be able to play any games at all even PC games because it lack a decent graphic processor
Intel HD is onboard type ,it's not for gaming
Sandy Bridge CPU (2xxxM) is about 400Mhz faster than the the old core i series (4xxM,5xxM,6xxM)

i7 2630QM can turbo to 2.9ghz but due to the heat , it may stay at 2.5-2.6ghz beat the old core i series at 3ghz .You better buy a cooling pad to keep the temp down (i7 run really hot)
My 2720QM freely goes up 800Mhz more than the starting clock speed, without a cooling pad. However, I am using a 17" laptop, so that may cool the processor more effectively. As long as the laptop is off your lap or a bed, you should be fine.
Pages: 1 2