Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Crashes almost immediately.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, here is my problem: When I start a game in the Dolphin emulator it crashes, almost immediately. Usually within the first few seconds. I got to the character selection screen is Super Smash Bros. Melee, and the other games (listed below) didn't get farther than the main menu. I tried every revision possible, and every combination of every setting. Here are my specs and the games I am trying:

Super Smash Bros Melee, Metroid Prime and Alien Hominid..which are the only games I own that (according to the Perfect game list on this forum).

I have the following:
Windows Vista with all the latest updates and service packs
a Q6600, 2.4ghz and not overclocked.
an ATI HD 4870, the latest DirectX drivers and video card drivers
Realtek HD onboard sound card, latest drivers as well.

Also, if it matters (probably not), I have not tweaked my system in anyway and I just formatted my HD and reinstalled Vista only a month ago. I'm an avid PC gamer and have no problems with any other games or emulators. I use PCSX2 for God Hand and it runs flawlessly, again I'm not sure if that matters.

If there is no other suggestions, would you think XP works more reliable? I'd prefer to get opinions on that before I make a partition and go though the trouble of updating everyting, quite a hassle to do that and find out I have the same problem..I just hope it isn't a hardware issue.

and thanks beforehand.
prolly you can try on newer release.
I'm not sure why it's crashing. I had a similar problem and found out the memcard files were corrupted. So I deleted them and let Dolphin rebuild them. But if you've never been able to get these games to run, then it's probably something else. Did you download all the required files - DirectX 9 Updater (install even if you're running Vista w/DX10), and Microsoft VC++ 2008 SP1.

As far as XP is concerned, yes, you will get better performance, but it won't necessarily fix any major errors you're getting.
Yeah, I recommend using XP. I'm a Vista user, and I've tested Dolphin on my friend's XP system and it does run faster. As to games crashing in Vista, make sure your settings are correct for each game. (Safe texture cache, ztp blook hack, EFB, things like that)

I have never ran into a problem running Dolphin and Vista, so I'm baffled by people having so many problems. (Just a side note)
probably over 90% of the dev team uses vista...
OK. I tried this on my friends gaming laptop, running 64bit Vista(I can give specs if need be, but he is running an nvidia card on it) And I got in-game. It crashed but I only tied it once, so I didn't really test it. Only tired Melee tough.

Also, I should have mentioned I used the latest build 2745 and the nightly build on nyleveia.com/daco Both of them crashed..as well as older builds-I can't remember their build number.

edit: I just now encountered another crash, but this time it give me an actual warning. [Image: dspcrash.jpg]

I was unable to reproduce it though. That might be linked to my crashes? I don't know. (updated drivers btw)

edit again: I'm able to get Alien Hominid working but Metroid Prime and Melee still crash as before.