Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Recommended upgrade path, stick with amd or go intel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

sephiro499

I know this question has been asked a lot and I've read a number of posts but I still have some questions.

Current rig:

Dolphin r7554
athlon x3 440 rana 3.0ghz
2gb ddr2 ram
8600 GTS
xp sp3

I've only played one game, starfox assault. I was originally using a quad core 2.2ghz and upgraded on ebay to the x3 @ 3.0ghz. I'm running the game on stock settings( 1x native resolution, disabling fog) in window mode and then I just maximize the window. I experience a lot of slowdown in the land missions; when I'm running the arwing only missions it runs very well.

My current mobo only supports 95w cpus but I do have a biostar tf8200 in another machine that I can swap.

I'd like to know if I should bother to upgrade my current setup or just go with an i5 overclocked and my 8600gts. I was thinking of a phenom 2 x4 black edition hopefully pushed to the 4ghz neighborhood with overclocking.

I'm also open to upgrading the video card but only what is needed for emulators, namely dolphin and pcsx2. I don't play pc games. I've got an xbox for pc games, lol.

edit: I should also note, I'm interested in playing other cube and wii games, like mario galaxy, metriod, and zelda. I know these games are very intensive and require a powerful machine.

Intel for sure...
a decent videocard
nvidia 260++
ati 5770++
is recommended for 1080p with aa and 3x resoultion

anything below would mean you are playing with 480p graphic...
so just stay and play with your wii...