Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A computer that can run dolphin at full speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am thinking into investing in a new computer, and would like to know what specs or specific computers can run dolphin at full speed. I do not care if it is a laptop or desktop. I'm also looking for it to be good value for money (I'm a cheap skate XD)
There are threads that discuss the kind of computer that is needed to run Dolphin well, you should search for them instead.
(05-30-2011, 05:25 AM)nintendo93mat Wrote: [ -> ]I am thinking into investing in a new computer, and would like to know what specs or specific computers can run dolphin at full speed. I do not care if it is a laptop or desktop. I'm also looking for it to be good value for money (I'm a cheap skate XD)

ya there are plenty of threads about it, its really based on the game itself.

GC= ~2.8-3.0ghz processor
WII= ~3.5ghz processor

Dolphin only really uses 2 cores, so more cores != better. Just get higher processor clock speed, ofcourse more cores would make it so other processes arnt interfering with dolphin as much. You can always look into overclocking.
(so maybe something like an athlon x2/x3/x4 or phenom x2/x3/x4 at 3.0ghz and overclock it)

ram id say 4gb, as with any normal gaming computer computer.

graphics, i believe for wii at 1080P you need like a 5770.

If you live in the us/canada, and you pm me your budget, i can link you a good computer for that price. Also list whether you need monitor/mouse/keyboard/controller/speakers/OS
(05-30-2011, 07:35 PM)jbone1337 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-30-2011, 05:25 AM)nintendo93mat Wrote: [ -> ]I am thinking into investing in a new computer, and would like to know what specs or specific computers can run dolphin at full speed. I do not care if it is a laptop or desktop. I'm also looking for it to be good value for money (I'm a cheap skate XD)

WII= ~3.5ghz processor

Dolphin only really uses 2 cores, so more cores != better. Just get higher processor clock speed, ofcourse more cores would make it so other processes arnt interfering with dolphin as much. You can always look into overclocking.
(so maybe something like an athlon x2/x3/x4 or phenom x2/x3/x4 at 3.0ghz and overclock it)

If you live in the us/canada, and you pm me your budget, i can link you a good computer for that price. Also list whether you need monitor/mouse/keyboard/controller/speakers/OS

Whatever happened to the x4 980 that was clocked at 3.7GHz and had 8MB of L3? I can only find it on this weird "provantage" site and it's $25 over the retail price ($205 whereas it should be $179.99)

http://www.provantage.com/amd-hdz980fbgm...AMD2LJ.htm
(05-30-2011, 07:42 PM)Ness Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-30-2011, 07:35 PM)jbone1337 Wrote: [ -> ]

WII= ~3.5ghz processor

Whatever happened to the x4 980 that was clocked at 3.7GHz and had 8MB of L3? I can only find it on this weird "provantage" site and it's $25 over the retail price ($205 whereas it should be $179.99)

im pretty good with hardware, and i actually had no idea about that processor existing XD
i knew of the 975 BE clocked at 3.6 (but $180 for that is a rip, you can easily get a cooler and overclock a 955 to that or higher for cheaper). and $200 for that 3.7 is a bigger rip lol.

Also that processor has 6mb of L3, the description adds both the L2 and L3 together (6+2), and 2mb of l2 cache is normal, as 512kbx4 cores=2mb. and all of the 900 series have 6mb L3.
(05-30-2011, 08:11 PM)jbone1337 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-30-2011, 07:42 PM)Ness Wrote: [ -> ]Whatever happened to the x4 980 that was clocked at 3.7GHz and had 8MB of L3? I can only find it on this weird "provantage" site and it's $25 over the retail price ($205 whereas it should be $179.99)

im pretty good with hardware, and i actually had no idea about that processor existing XD
i knew of the 975 BE clocked at 3.6 (but $180 for that is a rip, you can easily get a cooler and overclock a 955 to that or higher for cheaper). and $200 for that 3.7 is a bigger rip lol.

Also that processor has 6mb of L3, the description adds both the L2 and L3 together (6+2), and 2mb of l2 cache is normal, as 512kbx4 cores=2mb. and all of the 900 series have 6mb L3.

Yeah, I was going to correct him but you beat me too itTongue