Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is My Computer ok for dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey every one this is my first post on the forum, i have been using dolphin for the last week now and everything seems amazing its just like a wii Big Grin

just wondering is my system spec ok for dolphin as now and again it can be slow Confused

motherboard - Zotac 9300-K-E
processor - Core 2 quad Q6600 "Not overclocked"
Memory - Kingston DDR3 4Gb 1333mhz

Cooling is a home built watercooling loop as my case is very small its the size of the itx motherboard and height is 6cm so no room for a graphics card was just wondering if there is a better itx board out there for onboard graphics? or should i just get more memory and a ssd drive as an upgrade for this set up and overclock the chipset?

any help would be more than grateful Shy
You're going to need a real/decent video card installed in that PC to use Dolphin, otherwise you're just wasting your time.
(05-26-2011, 08:39 PM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]You're going to need a real/decent video card installed in that PC to use Dolphin, otherwise you won't get 1080p and so wasting your time.

what if i upgraded my motherboard to a LGA 1155 as i seen a couple of reviews saying that the "core I5 is fast enough to put all previous attempts at integrated graphics to shame and compete with entry level discrete GPUs. The fact that you can get Radeon HD 5450 performance for free with a Core i5 2400 is just awesom"

so i was thinking of getting this

zotac H67ITX-A-E

with a core I7 2600K as i still use my pc for other home theater stuff
(05-28-2011, 10:59 AM)willzthom Wrote: [ -> ]what if i upgraded my motherboard to a LGA 1155 as i seen a couple of reviews saying that the "core I5 is fast enough to put all previous attempts at integrated graphics to shame and compete with entry level discrete GPUs. The fact that you can get Radeon HD 5450 performance for free with a Core i5 2400 is just awesom"

so i was thinking of getting this

zotac H67ITX-A-E

with a core I7 2600K as i still use my pc for other home theater stuff

Well so you know to even use the integrated graphics, you need an h67/z68 motherboard. and if you want to overclock the sandy bridge, you need a p67/z68 motherboard.

So if you want both overclock + integrated graphics you NEED a z68 motherboard. (if you get the K version, you BETTER overclock lmao).

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Gr...948.0.html = the integrated graphics, its not really an equal to the 5450, when turbo boost is active (which shuts down 2 of the 4 cores) it does overclock the graphics clock, which then it would be closer to a 5450, but still not quite.
Also im not sure if overclocking the processor, also scales with the integrated graphics (it would make sense because it does with turbo boost).

So i guess if you massively overclocked the i5-2500k/i7-2600k to 4ghz+ it would probably be about a 5450. But then also since its integrated it steals its memory from your ram. Still even a 5450 i dont think is enough to play 1080P, so why not just get something like a 5670/5770? they are not that expensive, then you dont need to get a z68 motherboard, and can just get a p67. (z68 are more expensive anyway).
overclock your current rig to 3ghz++
and get a 5830 for 120$
(05-28-2011, 07:19 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]and get a 5830 for 120$

$110Big Grin
(05-29-2011, 11:31 AM)ryancollins Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-28-2011, 07:19 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]and get a 5830 for 120$

$110Big Grin

Haggling... Wink
hey all sorry for the long reply

i have now gone for the ZOTAC Z68ITX-A-E motherboard

think i will also get Core i5 2400S as i am using a pico psu and it can only handle a cpu with a max tdp of 65w

and memory will 4gb be ok or get 8??
Quote:You're going to need a real/decent video card installed in that PC to use Dolphin, otherwise you won't get 1080p and so wasting your time.

Nope, SS is correct. A 9300i will not be sufficient for many games even at 1x internal resolution and minimal settings.

Quote:and get a 5830 for 120$

Please read the OP next time.
Quote:height is 6cm so no room for a graphics card

Quote:Well so you know to even use the integrated graphics, you need an h67/z68 motherboard

Incorrect. The IGP and gpu overclocking work just fine on an H61.

Quote:Also im not sure if overclocking the processor, also scales with the integrated graphics (it would make sense because it does with turbo boost).

You can overclock them separately. CPU overclocking does not raise the IGP frequency.

Also the HD 3000 usually beats a 5450, not always but usually: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-s...-tested/11

An HD 3000 will be slightly faster than what he has now, enough for 1x in most games.

Quote:so why not just get something like a 5670/5770? they are not that expensive, then you dont need to get a z68 motherboard, and can just get a p67. (z68 are more expensive anyway).

Read the OP before you post. He needs an mini ITX motherboard because he has a small case (which rules out P67 motherboards since there are no mini ITX P67 motherboards at the moment) and he can't fit a graphics card.

Also Z68 motherboards are not more expensive than P67, the prices I have seen are usually similar or slightly lower.

Quote:and memory will 4gb be ok or get 8??

4GB is fine.
Pages: 1 2