Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: First Dolphin tool assisted speedrun completed!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAD8yp_qTL4

I'm so happy this is finally complete. Congrats to diggidoyo for making this awesome speedrun.
Lol, that's pretty sick. Kudos to that guy.
Remind me about the game "i wanna be the guy"
Is this guy human ? Awesome skill !
(05-26-2011, 01:58 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Remind me about the game "i wanna be the guy"
Is this guy human ? Awesome skill !

It's tool assisted, so the player made extremely heavy use of savestates and frame-by-frame playing.
I've been wanting to do TAS videos with some games but I'm not entirely sure how to use the TAS feature in Dolphin.
i was also personally using dolphin myself a few months ago to do a couple megaman 10 TAS's. But it was just in terms of time attack mode, not a full game play. I used dolphin 2.0 when i did my TAS.
How the heck do you make TAS videos? I start the recording through the emulation menu, but I am not sure what to do from there. The game seems to play normally, not frame by frame or letting me input button presses one at a time. How are these impressive TAS videos created? o_O

Also I ended up with a 224 kb .dtm file I have no idea what to do with.
Don't you have to tick 'Dump Frames' and 'Dump Audio' ?
savestates and frame advance. well that's what i did.

I hold my mouse right up against the keyboard as close to the arrow keys as possible. Placing my thumb on the left-click button on the pause/play button on the top of the dolphin window in frame advance, one finger on the arrow keys with my right hand.

And controlling jump/shoot/weapon switch with my left hand. Keep clicking pause/play repeatedly a million times to play the game 1 frame at a time, reload savestates if i mess up. repeat over and over constantly.

At least that's how i handled it. I'm sure his way is similiar, or with a USB controller.
Diggidoyo here.
I used a USB controller and a program called xPadder. This let me map keyboard functions such as F10 (Frame advance) and save/load states to the unused buttons.

To TAS, choose Start Recording in the Emulation menu, but then you must also choose Frame Advance. This pauses the game and makes the Pause button now function as a frame advance. Every time you hit pause (or F10) the game advances one frame. Use save states, and when you're done, choose export recording to save a .dtm file.
Now close and re-open Dolphin (important to reset a few key things and avoid desyncs), choose Play recording, and open your .dtm file.
Pages: 1 2