Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Homebrew on dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

davidgf

Hello!

I want to ask the devs or anyone involved how strict is dolphin in emulation.
I mean, I'm developing homebrews and testing them under dolphin, will that guarantee that they'll work on real hardware? Whichs aspects are strictly emualted and which ones lazily checked?

Thanks a lot!

David
As far as I can tell from personal experience, various IOCtl calls (file system access etc) may work fine on Dolphin but fail hard on real hardware.
Also, don't expect to be able to do some fancy stuff by directly accessing the EFB or even changing the EFB format on the fly, it's not really well-supported by Dolphin.. Big Grin

Apart from that, I can't think of anything else right now which wouldn't be emulated properly, but there probably is a lot other stuff Tongue

davidgf

Thanks for the answer. That was what I imagined, the hardware obscure details may be simplified in dolphin.
Now that I was trying something I realized that I was reading data at address 0 (a null pointer) but dolphin seems to be OK, while Wii just hangs. I don't know anything.
Does the Wii have MMU, how is the memory mapped? Reading to an unmaped address jumps to the exception handler? It would be nice to have a good documentation, is there any?

Thanks a lot!