Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: ps3 port
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to know if would be possible to port dolphin to ps3 ?
Do you imagine dolphin running on a ps3 with psmove and high definition without so many kinds of hardware like pcs ?
it would be amazing.

(05-18-2011, 06:28 AM)luisold Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to know if would be possible to port dolphin to ps3 ?
Do you imagine dolphin running on a ps3 with psmove and high definition without so many kinds of hardware like pcs ?
it would be amazing.

NEVER.
(05-18-2011, 06:28 AM)luisold Wrote: [ -> ]it would be amazing.

If you've got no real life, yeah... Tongue
Rofl, are you saying that PS3 has better hardware than PC's?

PS3 = 550MHz 256mb VRAM, which is basically a Geforce 7300GTS or a Radeon X1550..
Custom 3.2GHz Single Core

New PC - Radeon HD 6990 (4GB GDDR5, 1250MHz - 5gb p/s) or Geforce GTX 590 (3GB GDDR5, 1224MHz)
Intel Core i7 2600k Quad (3.4GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo Boost in Gaming, Quad Core, insane overclocking stability up to 5.2GHz with aftermarket coolers 4.2GHz with stock)
People got to learn how to read. This was asked several times in the past few weeks.
Search before creating a thread. If you had done that, you would have seen me and the others saying that this is not going to happen...
Learn2Search, this is brought up like every month or every week. It won't happen, not only is PS3's hardware vastly inferior in terms of raw power compared to typical PC's but PS3 also lacks adequate memory, the cell is horribly inefficient at specific types of calculations that emulators such as Dolphin rely on. Also Dolphin is coded in x86, PS3 uses Cell PPC64, the entire core for Dolphin would need to be rewritten to be compatible with the Cell PPC. A lot of corners would need to be cut, only EFB to texture and HLE audio would be supported as PS3 wouldn't be able to handle EFB to Ram and LLE without crippling performance. Even with cutting corners there would be no guarantee that Dolphin on the PS3 would be fast or compatible. Let's just focus on fixing the major issues with the PC, Mac and Linux versions and forget about an impossible task such as porting to the PS3. Dolphin on the PS3 likely wouldn't run well so why bother with something so monumental? If it was feasible then people would probably be more concerned with porting PCSX2 since Sony yanked backwards compatibility from PS3.

Also later firmwares can't be jailbroken and there is no hardware acceleration, cell isn't multi-core. Have you tried the N64 emulator on PSP or watched the videos for the PSP Dreamcast emulator? Dolphin on the PS3 would likely run just as bad or worse. Think about it and realize it is ridiculous, maybe if you paid someone a 100,000,000,000 they might consider trying to port Dolphin to PS3, but it just isn't going to happen in the near future. While you are waiting for Dolphin on the PS3, I'll be waiting for my Xbox360 and PS3 emulator on the PC. Tongue
Now we all have a good quote the next time someone asks this (near future).
Thanks, Xtreme2damax Tongue
I forgot whether Naturalviolence said if the PS3 is good at parallel calculations or not, I'm guessing it's the latter. I'm not too familiar with PS3 but NV gave a good explanation in the past.
BAM