Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Building tomorrow, Spec info?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, here are my planned specs:

Windows 7 x64 (Already got it)
Intel Core i5-2500k
AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB (Flashing it to 6970)
8GB DDR3-1333

As you can see, I have not yet decided on the Motherboard, disk drive or HDD. The disk drive is easy, since they're only ~$20 and I know my criteria. However for the motherboard, I don't want to be cheaped out and want to be able to obviously have a P67 one with onboard bluetooth(for wiimotes) and overclockable - I want to be able to step it up a few .1 GHz if I ever have a problem in emulation (going to be using Dolphin and PCSX2 heavily) Also.. what it really comes down to is the HDD.. I never thought I'd have a problem with this until I saw one of JADS' videos (The Super Mario Galaxy one) where he claimed he couldn't fraps it without dropping frames until he got an SSD.. And, I am REALLY going to want to fraps, with not only Dolphin/PCSX2 but also PC games such as FPS.. And was wondering, would a 7200 RPM be a noticeable difference? Will I still drop frames? Should I consider getting a 40gb SSD or something?
(05-17-2011, 10:25 PM)Ness Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to be cheaped out and want to be able to obviously have a P67 one with onboard bluetooth(for wiimotes)

That might be interesting.
Also you MIGHT want to look into a Z68.
(05-17-2011, 10:59 PM)ryancollins Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2011, 10:25 PM)Ness Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to be cheaped out and want to be able to obviously have a P67 one with onboard bluetooth(for wiimotes)

Alright, as long as it's Socket LGA1155 of course. And what do you mean by interesting? Lol.
(05-18-2011, 06:18 AM)Ness Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2011, 10:59 PM)ryancollins Wrote: [ -> ]

Alright, as long as it's Socket LGA1155 of course. And what do you mean by interesting? Lol.

The bluetooth
(05-18-2011, 06:29 AM)ryancollins Wrote: [ -> ]The bluetooth

Yeah, this guy says it works without a problem though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlGWvcSe-...ideo_title

also, what do you think about an HDD..? Will I have no problems with a normal 7200RPM?
(05-18-2011, 06:44 AM)Ness Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2011, 06:29 AM)ryancollins Wrote: [ -> ]The bluetooth

Yeah, this guy says it works without a problem though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlGWvcSe-...ideo_title

also, what do you think about an HDD..? Will I have no problems with a normal 7200RPM?

For Dolphin?
You most likely won't have problems, provided you don't have like 1000 titles it has to scan every time you boot it. I currently run dolphin off an external HDD, and it loads in like 5 seconds with about 30 titles in it so far. If you wanted you could get a small SSD like I did, and then just put dolphin on that and the games on a 5400 / 72000 RPM HDD and be done with it, but a 7200RPM HDD should be fine for dolphin. Dolphin is really all about the CPU / GPU combo.

*Edit*

Oh, you want FRAPS too... Yeah, SSD's have quicker access speeds, so maybe one of those would help. But, they are really expensive the larger they get, so if you've got a large game library I'd take that into consideration...
(05-18-2011, 06:44 AM)Ness Wrote: [ -> ]also, what do you think about an HDD..? Will I have no problems with a normal 7200RPM?

The Z68 has a really cool feature that will help you there called SRT.
You can read more about it here.
Get a P67 or Z68 from asus depending no your preferences.

Quote:Should I consider getting a 40gb SSD or something?
For fraps yes. But that's the only reason I can see for getting one. Keep in mind you want fraps to output to the drive so I would recommend getting a larger drive since 40GB is not a lot of space for uncompressed video.

If you don't have the money just get a second hard drive to act as your "fraps write drive" and lower your recording resolution to 720p.
(05-17-2011, 10:25 PM)Ness Wrote: [ -> ]AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB (Flashing it to 6970)

Out of curiosity how would one do that? Do you have a link to a site that tells you how? I know it is possible but I do not know how.
(05-20-2011, 12:03 AM)ryancollins Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2011, 10:25 PM)Ness Wrote: [ -> ]AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB (Flashing it to 6970)

Out of curiosity how would one do that? Do you have a link to a site that tells you how? I know it is possible but I do not know how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEZL5vezY...ideo_title

This guys videos are really helpful. However, I'm not sure myself if I'll be doing it as my dad is super paranoid about it since my friend who I built it with (an nvidia fanboy, has no experience with AMD GFX cards and wouldn't understand the card I got had a dual bios switch) emphasized that its junk if we mess up and it voids the warranty. However if you are gonna do it, I would recommend a model with dual bios.
Pages: 1 2