Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Problems Getting Playable FPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

OfficerHalf

With my (what I thought was a) decent rig, I'm finding it impossible to get the game I really want to play, X-Men Legends, to play above 12fps. 50% speed is not playable. (EDIT: Using the latest build on the download page, 7546)

Its smooth as butter - but at 10-12fps.

My setup:
Win7 Professional 64-bit
Pentium Dual-Core E5200 @2.50GHz
4.00GB Ram
Radeon HD 4850

Now, I realize the game may not be on the 'Plays Perfect' list. In fact, it's on the 'fixed' section of the games that hang, crash etc. list. But that largely seems to be because its not popular enough to be tested. Or, maybe not. Maybe that is the sole reason it won't run. I really have no other game to test it against - while I'm not completely above, ah, obtaining another game, this one is perfectly legal.

Or maybe my rig is just getting outdated - which is highly possible. I haven't upgraded anything in a few years. But I still expect a system that can run every modern game maxed or nearly so to be able to run a gamecube game from 2004 at playable fps.

I've tried every combination of settings I can - I even tried setting the internal resolution to x.5 Native. Nothing. In fact, its odd that nothing seems to change the fps - positively or negatively. It either doesn't work at all, or it runs at 10-12fps.

Any help at all would be appreciated.
Overclock your CPU , 3.3Ghz should be ok

OfficerHalf

(05-16-2011, 03:17 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Overclock your CPU , 3.3Ghz should be ok

I really have no idea how to do that, but I'll google around.
dolphin-emu.org takes no responsibility!
(05-16-2011, 11:00 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]dolphin-emu.org takes no responsibility!

Yep. dont overclock it. If it isnt good, it isnt good and thats it! Play when you get a better CPU, it isn worthy of overclocking. It doesent cost so much to pay a better MB, CPU and memory, and A video card.
(05-16-2011, 11:00 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]dolphin-emu.org takes no responsibility!

That's a good response actually, not knowing how to OC can cause major damage.
I would think once or twice doing this and calculate every aspect, gather as much info as possible.
Learn the basics and familiarize yourself in the BIOS, Google the different terms mentioned in the BIOS.

(05-17-2011, 12:30 AM)hobi Wrote: [ -> ]Yep. dont overclock it. If it isnt good, it isnt good and thats it! Play when you get a better CPU, it isn worthy of overclocking. It doesent cost so much to pay a better MB, CPU and memory, and A video card.

Actually, OC won't kill your CPU as long as the voltage not get over 1.35vcore (E5xxx is beast even on intel stock fan anyway). But you must apply new thermal paste every 6 months . 2.6 -> 3.6Ghz give me FPS 2.5 times faster which is more worthy than buying a new CPU

OfficerHalf

Yeah, I think I'm gonna skip out on the overclocking. This is all a bit much for me. This is even more confusing than getting GC backups to run on a Wii. Tongue (Well, maybe not.) If I could do that, I wouldn't even need Dolphin.

Ah, well. It was worth a shot.