Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: NSMB used to run great, now it chops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've just upgraded to today's revision after a long time without updating, but after following the performance guides on the wiki and the main pages NSMB slows down to about 35 FPS. If I turn EFB Copies to Texture it becomes faster, but it chops and renders the game unplayable because the controls become unresponsive.

Are there any updated performance guides or anything I might have missed? Here are my specs:

AMD Phenom II X3 2.8 ghz (3 cores)
ATI Radeon HD 4860 1gb
4gb DDR2 RAM
Windows 7 x64

I can't think of any solutions except reverting back to an older revision, but I don't understand why this new revision even slower compared to the one I used to use. I think at one point NSMB was running way too fast, so I had to find some way to slow it down.

How can I fix my issue?
Did u try changing the internal resolution in d graphic settings?
Yeah, it doesn't make a difference whether I run in HD or native. I used to run really well at 720p anyway, I'd like to get it back to that
I've heard R6505 is still the fastest while searching around the forums, so I tried it and it's the same as what I've got now. I can't think of anything; I'm running GameBooster and that increases the game FPS by 10 FPS, but it's still not enough and it works as if it's in slow motion at 40. I used to run the game perfectly at 60FPS, though it would slow down in windy desert levels for some reason.

Is there anything I could be running that might be slowing it down maybe? Is there a setting I could have missed in Dolphin?

EDIT: When I close out of a bunch of programs and choose EFB Copy to RAM the game speeds up amazingly, but has one or two problems. The first thing I noticed was that yellow coins don't spin like the normally do, which has to do with EFB copy to RAM. I might be mistaken, but I think that setting used to work fine for me. I heard the game crashes at a certain level without that setting on, so I'm a little concerned.

Also, I have Vsync turned on and I don't get any slowdown, but there's still a strange tearing effect a the bottom of the game screen. What's up with that?

Thanks
(05-12-2011, 03:05 AM)Momotombo Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: When I close out of a bunch of programs and choose EFB Copy to RAM the game speeds up amazingly, but has one or two problems. The first thing I noticed was that yellow coins don't spin like the normally do, which has to do with EFB copy to RAM. I might be mistaken, but I think that setting used to work fine for me.

Thanks

Are you using dx11?

(05-12-2011, 03:05 AM)Momotombo Wrote: [ -> ]I heard the game crashes at a certain level without that setting on, so I'm a little concerned.

Thanks

The setting is accurate texture cache on med-low.
I'm using DX9, I think 11 was causing even more slowdown. I also tried OpenGL but it was even worse, though I didn't play with it that much.
EuRGB60 ticked in the Wii settings perhaps?
That slowed down this game humongous before I figured out that it needed to be disabled.
I own the PAL version though.
I found that in recent revisions I had to use vps limiting and v-sync in order to avoid stuttering. However you mentioned that you tried v-sync so I'm guessing it didn't fix the stuttering for you?
Ah, it doesn't stutter at all anymore after I enabled EFB Copy to Texture instead of to RAM. The problem is that yellow coins don't spin, which I can live with I guess but I was wondering if there's a way to fix it without doing EFB Copy to RAM, which slows down my game by at least 20 FPS.

I unchecked EuRGB60 but it doesn't make a difference in either EFB to RAM or Texture.

As a side note, I was also wondering if there are any Gamecube controller hacks for this game. It seems that Wiimotes don't work over netplay and I wanted to try playing online with a friend, though that might not work since apparently dual core doesn't work online either
afaik, all that's need is (fast) safe texture cache and that only affects level 4-3.
Pages: 1 2