Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Upgrading hardware for better perfomance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ivanguerr

Hi, this is my first post. I have a E6500 Intel CPU (2,93 Ghz), an onboard nvidia 9300 graphic card and 2 GB Ram.

I have tested some wii games and I have noticed the computer need more power to run the games fluidly. I tested many configurations but the gain is insufficient.

My question is: what component is better to upgrade? cpu or graphic card? I´m thinking to buy an ATI 5XXXX series.

Thanks.
What games are you trying to play?
At what resolution are you attempting to run games at?
OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Are you on a laptop?

ivanguerr

Thanks for answer so quickly! It´s an HTPC connected via hdmi to a 50" TV. Windows 7 32 bits. Some games like "New Super Mario Bros" or "Wii Party" run very well but others games like "Super Mario Galaxy 2" run slowly.

My wife is trying to play "My fitness coach" and with the lower resolution (640x528) without antialiasing the fps are about 25-30, speed is 50%. I tried to overclock cpu and graphic card but the perfomance not move (only 55% in speed).

The quick answer: BOTH

For most games a gpu upgrade would be more beneficial. However many games including Super Mario Galaxy 2 will never run at a decent speed until you upgrade both.

But if I HAD to choose just one, gpu.
Get Nvidia 450GTS and OC your CPU to 3.6Ghz ,SMG 2 will run fullspeed (HLE plugin)