Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Paper Mario - Controller Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having a bit of trouble. I'm in Glitzville and trying to pick up the Super Hammer, but whenever I try to get through the tutorial, I can't seem to "wind up" Mario's attack.

I hit the "B" button (and Mario swings) and I start to press the directional keys going in a circle to wind him up. He just groans and sits there with an angry face. In other words, he starts his wind up, but he won't go any further.

Any ideas on why I can't seem to wind him up? I checked around and couldn't find anyone with similar issues...
(05-02-2011, 10:34 AM)HydroFreak Wrote: [ -> ]Having a bit of trouble. I'm in Glitzville and trying to pick up the Super Hammer, but whenever I try to get through the tutorial, I can't seem to "wind up" Mario's attack.

I hit the "B" button (and Mario swings) and I start to press the directional keys going in a circle to wind him up. He just groans and sits there with an angry face. In other words, he starts his wind up, but he won't go any further.

Any ideas on why I can't seem to wind him up? I checked around and couldn't find anyone with similar issues...

Are you using a controller or a keyboard?
(05-02-2011, 11:34 AM)ryancollins Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2011, 10:34 AM)HydroFreak Wrote: [ -> ]Having a bit of trouble. I'm in Glitzville and trying to pick up the Super Hammer, but whenever I try to get through the tutorial, I can't seem to "wind up" Mario's attack.

Using a keyboard. The up/down/left/right keys are charted to the same keys on the keyboard.
(05-02-2011, 11:41 AM)HydroFreak Wrote: [ -> ]

Using a keyboard. The up/down/left/right keys are charted to the same keys on the keyboard.

It is going to be VERY hard to do on a keyboard, buy a real controller.
(05-02-2011, 11:44 AM)ryancollins Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2011, 11:41 AM)HydroFreak Wrote: [ -> ]

It is going to be VERY hard to do on a keyboard, buy a real controller.

Lol, well what do you recommend? I have a GC controller. I also have an X360 controller - but no wireless receiver for my PC : /
try doing left, left+up, up, right+up, right...etc...in order to blend the angles together. If you just do left, up, right, down...the game only sees input at every 90 degrees.
(05-02-2011, 11:59 AM)shuffle2 Wrote: [ -> ]try doing left, left+up, up, right+up, right...etc...in order to blend the angles together. If you just do left, up, right, down...the game only sees input at every 90 degrees.

You know, I did try that, but I was holding onto the keys the whole time - like: push left > holding left, push up > let go of left > holding up, push right > etc. Didn't work so well : / Meh
(05-02-2011, 11:57 AM)HydroFreak Wrote: [ -> ]Lol, well what do you recommend? I have a GC controller. I also have an X360 controller - but no wireless receiver for my PC : /

You could try this or you could buy a wired 360 controller.
(05-02-2011, 12:08 PM)ryancollins Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2011, 11:57 AM)HydroFreak Wrote: [ -> ]Lol, well what do you recommend? I have a GC controller. I also have an X360 controller - but no wireless receiver for my PC : /

Thanks. Is that what you recommend? Using the X360 controller?
(05-02-2011, 12:11 PM)HydroFreak Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2011, 12:08 PM)ryancollins Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks. Is that what you recommend? Using the X360 controller?

Yeah, because they have analog triggers.