Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New 1080p build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm about to build a new HTPC and want to run Wii games at 1080p (maybe 2-4x AA) with no slowdowns. I've read that Super Mario Galaxy 2 has slowdowns even with a fast processor but am wondering how fast of one I'll need to avoid this. I've held off playing this game until my theater was built and now I just need a computer that can handle it. Does Dolphin support quad cores or does it just use 2 cores? I was thinking a Sandy 2100T for the CPU but if it's going to take more than that I can upgrade. I have a 6850 GPU in my main PC that I was thinking of moving over to the HTPC. Good move, or do I need more horsepower?

Lastly, the HTPC will be about 15 feet away and behind a door. What's a good bluetooth solution for this that's not too expensive but will work well. I'd like to keep the bluetooth under $50. I will need support for 2 players.

Thanks for your time.
(05-02-2011, 03:08 AM)henrydavis Wrote: [ -> ]I'm about to build a new HTPC and want to run Wii games at 1080p (maybe 2-4x AA) with no slowdowns. I've read that Super Mario Galaxy 2 has slowdowns even with a fast processor but am wondering how fast of one I'll need to avoid this. I've held off playing this game until my theater was built and now I just need a computer that can handle it. Does Dolphin support quad cores or does it just use 2 cores? I was thinking a Sandy 2100T for the CPU but if it's going to take more than that I can upgrade. I have a 6850 GPU in my main PC that I was thinking of moving over to the HTPC. Good move, or do I need more horsepower?

Lastly, the HTPC will be about 15 feet away and behind a door. What's a good bluetooth solution for this that's not too expensive but will work well. I'd like to keep the bluetooth under $50. I will need support for 2 players.

Thanks for your time.

Dolphin can use 3 cores with LLE I would buy a i5 2500 and the 6850 should be good and as for the bluetooth a class 1 or 2 will work but do NOT buy a class 3.
What's LLE? Also, why no class 3?
(05-02-2011, 09:59 AM)henrydavis Wrote: [ -> ]What's LLE? Also, why no class 3?

LLE is "Low Level Emulation" if you enable DSPLLE on thread Dolphin will use 3 cores but it is faster to use HLE.
Ans as for class 3 it only reaches 3 feet and class 2 reaches 30 feet and class 1 reaches 300 feet.
Thanks for all your help. I was about to order a bluetooth adapter off Newegg but after doing a search on here I see people are having success with this cheapie from Dealextreme:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/super-mini-...ible-11866

I figure three for $3.99 with shipping should do it. Smile

(05-02-2011, 11:38 AM)henrydavis Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for all your help. I was about to order a bluetooth adapter off Newegg but after doing a search on here I see people are having success with this cheapie from Dealextreme:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/super-mini-...ible-11866

I figure three for $3.99 with shipping should do it. Smile

Why would you buy 3? You only need one for 4 wiimotes. And those cheap things probably will not work.
Doing a search on this forum shows that people are having no problem getting that adapter to work. I figure for about $2 more I get 2 more adapters. In case I ordered one and it didn't work I don't want to wait ~2 weeks (DX is in China) for another one. Plus, I can use one on my main computer to sync with my cell phone.

That specific one does work. I have one myself.
(05-02-2011, 01:11 PM)boogerlad Wrote: [ -> ]That specific one does work. I have one myself.

I just checked out Amazon and it seems like they sell the same one. Maybe I'll get it from them instead, since I'll get it a lot sooner.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth...354&sr=1-3