Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why does dolphin run so slowly? (r7485)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(05-02-2011, 10:20 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2011, 10:10 PM)ryancollins Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2011, 06:55 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2011, 03:51 AM)jw12321 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to have it run in full speed even with a low FPS? I'd much rather have it be able to be played at full speed than have it have super-high-def quality.

I agree. anyway for some games you gotta make sacrifices if you want'em working Tongue

Yeah me too I have this crap computer that plays games half speed with EFB scale at 0.5 it macks EVERYTHING look like crapSad.

Half speed on good days... Tongue

yep..dolphin is good, but still is a long time away from widespread adoption. if only..
(05-03-2011, 05:30 AM)jw12321 Wrote: [ -> ]yep..dolphin is good, but still is a long time away from widespread adoption. if only..

Wrong, Dolphin is THE best
(05-03-2011, 06:21 AM)ryancollins Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2011, 05:30 AM)jw12321 Wrote: [ -> ]yep..dolphin is good, but still is a long time away from widespread adoption. if only..

Wrong, Dolphin is THE best

It's really good if you have a really good computer, but for the people with normal computers, games run crappy (1/3-1/4 the framerate)
It's just that Gamecube/Wii emulation in general requires a lot of horsepower, it isn't a Dolphin issue and another Gamecube/Wii emulator wouldn't solve that, it might be even worse. Dolphin and it's developers do what they can to make performance acceptable, using hacks can only do so much and some hacks can cause serious issues, in that case a more accurate solution is needed which degrades performance. The best you can get on an average system is a balance of performance and accuracy, you can't have super fast and proper/accurate emulation without issues. The solution is to get a job, save what you don't spend and buy a more powerful system, emulation is not meant to be cheap and that is especially true when it comes to emulating more powerful systems such as the Gamecube/Wii.

Other emulators can barely boot homebrew let alone commercial titles and don't have any audio, and have other issues. The only other emulator there is which has limited compatibility with commercial titles, no audio, no gamepad or Wii support is Gekko. I'm not even sure if Gekko is still active considering I haven't heard much more about development. Dolphin is currently the fastest, most compatible and the only emulator that supports both Gamecube and Wii games. It is the only Gamecube/Wii emulator with working audio, the only emulator with near perfect audio with LLE. Dolphin and the developers have made some ground breaking achievements in the world of Gamecube/Wii emulation. It was them who RE'd a lot of stuff, studied the hardware to implement working audio, they even corrected some inconsistencies in the Y.A.G.D. (Gamecube/Wii documentation) making the documentation more complete. There was a lot of sweat involved considering there was no official documentation and what documentation there is had to be RE'd or derived by studying the hardware.
(05-03-2011, 08:54 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]It's just that Gamecube/Wii emulation in general requires a lot of horsepower, it isn't a Dolphin issue and another Gamecube/Wii emulator wouldn't solve that, it might be even worse. Dolphin and it's developers do what they can to make performance acceptable, using hacks can only do so much and some hacks can cause serious issues, in that case a more accurate solution is needed which degrades performance. The best you can get on an average system is a balance of performance and accuracy, you can't have super fast and proper/accurate emulation without issues. The solution is to get a job, save what you don't spend and buy a more powerful system, emulation is not meant to be cheap and that is especially true when it comes to emulating more powerful systems such as the Gamecube/Wii.

Other emulators can barely boot homebrew let alone commercial titles and don't have any audio, and have other issues. The only other emulator there is which has limited compatibility with commercial titles, no audio, no gamepad or Wii support is Gekko. I'm not even sure if Gekko is still active considering I haven't heard much more about development. Dolphin is currently the fastest, most compatible and the only emulator that supports both Gamecube and Wii games. It is the only Gamecube/Wii emulator with working audio, the only emulator with near perfect audio with LLE. Dolphin and the developers have made some ground breaking achievements in the world of Gamecube/Wii emulation. It was them who RE'd a lot of stuff, studied the hardware to implement working audio, they even corrected some inconsistencies in the Y.A.G.D. (Gamecube/Wii documentation) making the documentation more complete. There was a lot of sweat involved considering there was no official documentation and what documentation there is had to be RE'd or derived by studying the hardware.

I'm not trying to say that dolphin's bad, just that it needs a lot of horsepower to run well...I was saying that emulation of the wii/gc in general needs work to make it run on normal computers.
A normal computer these days are a Core2duo or better, actually a Phenom II or Core i7 which either should be enough to run most games fine on Dolphin.
Pages: 1 2