Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Nintendo WFC online Emulation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I understand that currently it is impossible to use Nintendo WFC as you cannot connect to the Nintendo servers. However I'd like to know what holds this back. I know of netplay and such, but I really, ah whatever, I have no friends, plain and simple.

What is the reason that the emulator cannot contact the Nintendo servers and play online other than that the coding doesn't exist? I would think that all you'd need to do is give the emulator an Internet Protocol and Internet access. I have no clue how to do that. Although I am a programmer, and the only thing I could think of in that sense would be to setup a server that the emulator connects to and have it forward to or mirror the Nintendo servers. That doesn't sound particularly hard to me. If the problem is with the Nintendo servers only respond to actual consoles, it's not that hard to backup a NAND for the Wii, I don't know about a bios though. I would think that if you had those it'd be pretty easy to bypass a Nintendo safeguard that prevents non real Wii consoles to be used on their servers. I'm just interested in this, it'd be cool if it one day did work.
Not heard anything of it being impossible, more like no one interested in doing it (anyone could implement it if they wanted to). I guess it's just to much work for people to consider it worth the trouble.

It was done with desmume, and worked (until Nintendo blocked it)
Oh I meant that Dolphin doesn't have the ability to do not that it was completely impossible. I think it would just be cool. I'd attempt it myself, except I've never done emulation programming, not to mention I'm still only a high school kid. Although I have noted the SDL dll files in the Dolphin folder which tells me that Dolphin was programmed in C++ which means I could probably do something. Anyway, thanks.
Read this:

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread...#pid146659

It's possible, just that it won't ever happen.
(04-19-2011, 09:43 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]Read this:

If that's the case why not just have the Dolphin team make their own version of Nintendo servers just for the emulator, so people could play like normal without interfering with those who play on consoles?
That would be a monumental task if it were even possible, while it's possible to emulate the client side behavior the developers have no idea to know what goes on server side. Also documentation for the Gamecube/Wii is scarce as it is except small bits and pieces and whatever the developers managed to RE so far, so forget any server side documentation that Nintendo's WFC operates on. I'd also reckon that Nintendo wouldn't be happy about emulating their servers, much the same as Blizzard isn't with anyone emulating their WoW servers especially if it uses any Nintendo copyrighted code. If this type of functionality was possible other emulators much more mature in their development than Dolphin would have already implemented it by now. Sorry but Netplay is as good as you'll get without shelling out for the actual system.
(04-19-2011, 10:37 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]That would be a monumental task if it were even possible, while it's possible to emulate the client side behavior the developers have no idea to know what goes on server side. Also documentation for the Gamecube/Wii is scarce as it is except small bits and pieces and whatever the developers managed to RE so far, so forget any server side documentation that Nintendo's WFC operates on. I'd also reckon that Nintendo wouldn't be happy about emulating their servers, much the same as Blizzard isn't with anyone emulating their WoW servers especially if it uses any Nintendo copyrighted code. If this type of functionality was possible other emulators much more mature in their development than Dolphin would have already implemented it by now. Sorry but Netplay is as good as you'll get without shelling out for the actual system.

Oh I have the actual system, it's just interesting to think about.
I meant anyone, not just you.
(04-19-2011, 10:21 AM)Spirrwell Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-19-2011, 09:43 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]Read this:

If that's the case why not just have the Dolphin team make their own version of Nintendo servers just for the emulator, so people could play like normal without interfering with those who play on consoles?

Apart from what X2d already said, this still would require us to implement the base network functions of the Wii (which is fairly trivial but no one really works on it.. although someone already implemented most of it, but doesn't commit it for whatever reason). ALSO (which is the harder part), we'd need to RE the WC24 functions of the Wii, since it's almost completely undocumented right now... and. The devs who have a Wii and know enough to RE that stuff usually aren't interested in doing that ;P