Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Paper Mario runs like crap!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, first off I'd like to introduce myself.
I'm Roland.
I'm no noob to much of anything (although I just started using this particular emu today)

Now, the matter at hand, I was searching the forums and the general consensus seems to be that Paper Mario runs great even on Low End CPUs.
So I am wondering why I am only getting between 11 & 15 FPS most of the time!
Settings listed below, system specs in my sig.

Emu version 3286
Dolphin IL used for everything

System Config
Enable Duo Core
Enable Idle Skipping
All Advanced Settings Enabled
Use Panic Handlers

OpenGL Plugin
FullScreen (640x480)
AutoScale
Native resolution
Antistropic 1x
AA off
EFB copy disabled (toggle with E)
EFB to GL texture
Use Safe Texture Cache

DSP HLE
All options checked

Individual game options
Disabled duo core

All settings not listed are unchecked. I am using the 1.3 SDL so that my triggers work for a few of the other games...
And also, it is Paper Mario US (NTSC)

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?
Mario Party 7 runs great (slight speed increase if I disable EFB)
DBZ Budokai 2 runs decently (although slightly sluggish)
Wind Waker runs kinda sluggish (and of course there is no audio)
SSMB runs almost full speed (with the usual bg music randomly stopping)

It's not urgent or anything, it just has me like wtf!? cuz I've seen a report that it ran at full speed on a 1.6 duo core...
well, maybe paper mario does something that your pc doesn't like
or any pc, im not sure if anyone of us has tried paper mario recently
Integrated Graphic Chipset ... again!
Sorry... This laptop is my only hope for anything for quite sometime (as my job isn't even paying me enough to get my car fixed, and that's my first priority)
But considering that emulators in general are a CPU thing and not graphics card based, my integrated chipset shouldn't matter...
And to put things into perspective for you, after a few tweaks, this baby ran Mirror's Edge faster than most! (although it can't run Assassin's Creed...) So I can squeeze performance out of this baby, it's just a matter of what to adjust...
I was kinda thinking about checking out one of the hacked versions or something, but I don't want like 7 different programs for gamecube games! And the ones I have listed are the only ones I will be playing for awhile, so perhaps there is an older build that might run the 5 of em better?
It's either that, or settings tweaking is needed...
(05-30-2009, 11:43 PM)abfab126 Wrote: [ -> ]Integrated Graphic Chipset ... again!
i didn't even notice that
i just looked at the chip type lol
It requires a little less but still pretty much. Even my PC have less than 40 FPS in areas such as Rougeport. Super paper Mario runs full all the way though.
Yea, I'm right at the first save point...
I did upgrade mt duo core optimizer last night (I still had the Xp one on here apparently...)
And I updated to Vista SP2 but over all I got maybe a 1 or 2 FPS increase...
I didn't have time to test much before I went to work this morning but I was wondering, would disabling fog hurt any of the games I have?
Certain RPGs I could see it having adverse effects (such as Skies Of Arcadia Legends) but I couldn't really see the downside to disabling it with these... But then again, it might not help at all either...
I dunno, I'm still learning the ins-and-outs of this emu (not quite as easy as epsxe was) so I am trying to see what might be good to tweak and tune...
I have noticed something very odd though, and I will be starting a separate thread for it: The emu seems to preform differently each time I open it generally...
I haven't seen where disabling fog has any improvements on the games. At least not the games I play. And, usually, it will make the graphics look bizarre and/or cause missing textures. Like anything, you can experiment with it and see how it effects each game. But I doubt you'll really notice a difference in performance.
Yea, that's what I figured...
Although I would like to give 3295 a shot if you wouldn't mind pointing me to it... As it is not currently on the main site...
Oh wait, they need to be compiled don't they?
Again, I reiterate what i mentioned in an early message, if anyone can recommend a better build than 3286, please lemme know...
Pages: 1 2