Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Optimal setting for hyperthreading chips?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yo,

is "lock threads to cores" working well for hyperthreaded chips at the moment? or is it best to fiddle with taskmanager/disable hyperthreading?
Quote:is "lock threads to cores" working well for hyperthreaded chips at the moment?

Yes (assuming you're using a recent revision).

Quote:or is it best to fiddle with taskmanager/disable hyperthreading?

Unnecessary. It will work well regardless of whether lock threads to cores is on or off.
don't use lock threads, it is picky. and usually it doesn't work, just locks to the first and ht..
(04-16-2011, 03:36 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:is "lock threads to cores" working well for hyperthreaded chips at the moment?

Yes (assuming you're using a recent revision).

Quote:or is it best to fiddle with taskmanager/disable hyperthreading?

Unnecessary. It will work well regardless of whether lock threads to cores is on or off.

have you got examples of clearly working lock threads?
Quote:don't use lock threads, it is picky. and usually it doesn't work, just locks to the first and ht..

We fixed that about 800 revisions ago. It should work fine now. In systems with turbo boost it should actually improve performance ever since the affinity was changed.
no, no you didn't.
Who is this "we" he speaks of? :p
(04-17-2011, 05:18 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:don't use lock threads, it is picky. and usually it doesn't work, just locks to the first and ht..

We fixed that about 800 revisions ago. It should work fine now. In systems with turbo boost it should actually improve performance ever since the affinity was changed.

so you assume it's supposed to increase performances each time Big Grin
Quote:so you assume it's supposed to increase performances each time Big Grin

That sentence makes no sense. It SHOULD increase performance in theory since locking the affinity to two threads would cause turbo boost to raise the clock rate higher. It doesn't increase performance "each time" though, any change would be constant.

Quote:Who is this "we" he speaks of?

Me/xenofears/skid/and the guy who discovered that it was a bitmask (can't remember his name)

I'm not going to get deep into it since I don't feel like spending 15 minutes writing a wall of text but if you read this thread from this page you'll see what happened: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread...556&page=4

Quote:no, no you didn't.

Yes, yes we did. I remember it quite well, unless it got broken again, which is impossible since nobody has touched that code since then.

Using lock threads to cores will not cause the affinity to be set to separate logical threads that belong to the same physical thread. It should use multiple "real cores" or whatever you want to call them.

Of course any difference will be small. But you should receive excellent performance regardless of whether the option is on or off. Before the changes dolphin would just grab the first two threads (affinity for the 2 threads was 0 and 1), now it actually changed the affinity based on the type of cpu you have to ensure it behaves properly with cpus that use HT when locking the thread affinity.
Quote:Of course any difference will be small. But you should receive excellent performance regardless of whether the option is on or off. Before the changes dolphin would just grab the first two threads (affinity for the 2 threads was 0 and 1), now it actually changed the affinity based on the type of cpu you have to ensure it behaves properly with cpus that use HT when locking the thread affinity.

Sounds very interesting. I use a i7 720 Quad; do you think, it is useful to use only core "0" and "2" (as to be the first two physical cores) via task-manager and then enable "threads to core" on Dolphin as a good "combo"?

Pages: 1 2