Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i7 turbo boost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

wetwilly5519

I have an i7 720qm, laptop. It seems like my turbo boost is being counter-intuitive with dolphin. It is supposed to boost to 2.6~2.8 with dolphin, since it really only uses 2 cores to emulate but the clock actually drops to 1.7 every time I run a game.

I've tried changing the core affinity through taskmanager, ProLasso, and ImageCFG but the same thing happens each time.

Anyone have an idea or a revision that would limit dolphin to only 2 cores?

And I'm using r7390M. Win 7 x64. 4gb ram, gt330m OC to 675mhz
still not good enough even with turbo boost

gotta be 3+GHz for best performance

and when you say "OC to 675mhz", do you mean the CPU speed is 675mhz?
see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo...l_Concerns
Turn on lock threads to cores.
Try "Lock threads to core",max out dolphin resolution : 1366x768
Make sure your laptop isn't overheat or the clock speed will drop to default 1.7ghz
Beside 1.7->2.8 is a little too far, that's why i5 laptop run dolphin better (this has been discussed before, i believe)

wetwilly5519

The graphics clock speed is 575 stock and I OC'd it to 675, which is max stable OC. I did lock threads to core and max'd resolution. I was thinking to switching to a dual core lappy but I don't have the money right now.
Basically, I want the i7 to perform like an i5 when running dolphin -_- dam quad cores
(03-31-2011, 09:54 AM)wetwilly5519 Wrote: [ -> ]The graphics clock speed is 575 stock and I OC'd it to 675, which is max stable OC. I did lock threads to core and max'd resolution. I was thinking to switching to a dual core lappy but I don't have the money right now.
Basically, I want the i7 to perform like an i5 when running dolphin -_- dam quad cores

Use the latest version with lock threads to cores, as old versions didn't work properly with it with hypethreading processors and this option enabled, while now they do.
1. The i7 720qm is first generation, not Sandy Bridge. Turbo was renamed to "Turbo version 2" in the Sandy Bridge, so clearly it is evolved in the newer chips.
2. You might want to look at ThrottleStop to make sure you aren't overheating.
3. I suggest http://OpenHardwareMonitor.org as a tool to review core performance and temps
4. Absolutely MAKE SURE your system is doing NOTHING ELSE! Really study it! A crappy anti-virus or anything could cause this.

My experience with the i7 2nd generation is that they do indeed perform equal to a i5 with the turbo mode.
(07-06-2011, 02:14 AM)RoundSparrow Wrote: [ -> ]1. The i7 720qm is first generation, not Sandy Bridge. Turbo was renamed to "Turbo version 2" in the Sandy Bridge, so clearly it is evolved in the newer chips.
2. You might want to look at ThrottleStop to make sure you aren't overheating.
3. I suggest http://OpenHardwareMonitor.org as a tool to review core performance and temps
4. Absolutely MAKE SURE your system is doing NOTHING ELSE! Really study it! A crappy anti-virus or anything could cause this.

My experience with the i7 2nd generation is that they do indeed perform equal to a i5 with the turbo mode.

Not false