Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Recording Video from Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone know of a good way to record from dolphin? Preferably without a 30 second time (Fraps) or totally murdering my framerates (fraps). In case you didn't notice, I already tried fraps. For recording a short clip of something I'm about to get to I guess that's ok. But I'm trying to record a random glitch, I need alot more time then 30 seconds! I want to record the issue before I post it on google code as an issue.

Glitch I'm trying to record: http://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?ti...d_glitches
if the problem is already noted on the wiki... why you need to record it?
Well I know. But the error is pretty random; I have no way to tell people how to repeat the error other then "Run melee for a while". It would be very helpful to demonstrate the error in some form.
the only other video recorder i use is CamStudio, dunno if hits on the framerate ingame (never tried) but the recording speed can go up to 200fps (also its free so theres no time limit on recording)

if you do use it, use the CamStudio Lossless codec, then convert the avi file with windows movie maker (its just easier imo, and some players can read the codec)
Fraps has no impact on my Dolphin FPS, but then again, I own a licenced copy of Fraps. All I would suggest is to buy Fraps. It's one of the best recording apps, and only surpassed by PlayClaw (which co-incidentally, doesn't seem to work with Dolphin)
i personally have always been using dolphin's own "dump frames" option to record a AVI directly straight from the emu itself.
It always gives me back a video in true 60 FPS, even though the emu only goes 4 FPS for me maximum.

but i still really want the dev people to make the AVI record thing include sound...without needing to rely on the "dump audio" option ..i keep checking the latest revisions almost everyday...and it still hasn't happened. Sad
(03-31-2011, 10:26 PM)AndehX Wrote: [ -> ]Fraps has no impact on my Dolphin FPS, ...

Wait...What?
Fraps uses lots of resources, and it's the same with all software based recording solutions. You have to be aware that your computer must play the game and record the video at the same time, both processes are fighting each other for resources. If your computer runs into any kind of bottleneck (cpu power, disc access, etc...) it will slow down.
The general recommendation is to have an extremely beefy CPU and use two different HDDs (one containing windows and the game, and one dedicated just for recording the video)

If you want to bypass the performance issue completely, then the only solution is to use external capture (VHS, DVR, DVD-R, or a second computer with a capture device)
Camstudio won't work. It wasn't able to record sound on my system (win7 x64 with sound blaster audigy). I need sound more then video for this glitch.