Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why are Dolphin's graphics card requirements so high?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since I've started using dolphin, I've always had this question. If Dolphin is running games that are older and lower tech (fewer polygons, lower-res textures, etc.) why does it take the same amount of graphical power needed to run today's high-end games. I understand why it needs a fast CPU for emulation, but why can't it run well on a lower end GPU?
It can run well with a low-end GPU, just make sure you use a low resolution and no graphic options at all.
Extremely simplified explanation: Because the GC gpu has all mannor of esoteric features that do not directly map to a low level PC gpu, so instead we have to use high level features (like generated shaders) to emulate the oddities of the GC gpu.
And on top of that people use features like pixel lighting and SSAA which are extremely demanding.
also dont forget about CPU->EFB Access Wink
i lose 8~10fps with this option on....
That's a native hardware feature, I'm talking about enhancements.
Absolutely it is. I was just adding info to your answer responding to the thread's main question...

So what graphics card could get full speed with most games at low resolution?
Full speed with medium resolution with some AA or AF?
Full speed with all out high resolution with effects?
IF the game you're playing is not bottlenecked by the CPU (your cpu doesnt cause performance issues at all, and i doubt it) , any mid-end GPU like 5670HD can give you full speed with low resolution and some enhancements.

but you need at least 5770 or i recommend 6850HD for high resolutions with enhancements.

But trust me-concerning speed of emulation- nothing helps like upgrading your CPU (not in all cases though)...
(03-24-2011, 05:40 AM)metalnumb Wrote: [ -> ]IF the game you're playing is not bottlenecked by the CPU (your cpu doesnt cause performance issues at all, and i doubt it) , any mid-end GPU like 5670HD can give you full speed with low resolution and some enhancements.

but you need at least 5770 or i recommend 6850HD for high resolutions with enhancements.

But trust me-concerning speed of emulation- nothing helps like upgrading your CPU (not in all cases though)...

Yeah, I'm definitely sure its my GPU that the bottleneck. When running dolphin, I only use about 60-90% of my CPU. I also have ample RAM in this system; its never full. I don't have any way of measuring GPU activity, but I'm pretty sure its my graphics. I'm using a laptop, so I can't upgrade, but if I build or buy a new computer, I want to make sure it can run dolphin.

My specs
Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz
2 GB RAM DDR3 1066 MHz
Nvidia GeForce 9400M w/ 256 MB shared with main memory (I know this is a bad GPU)
Pages: 1 2