Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hardware requirements for anti-aliasing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mikel632

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section (new member. Anyway I was wondering what kind of hardware you need to run games at 4x anti-aliasing and x9.

I have
i5 750 cpu
8 gigs of g.skill (1333mhz..ram is 1600 but i think i5 limits to 1333)
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti ( I OC'd even more)

Should i be able to run mario galaxy at 4x antialising?

I can run new super mario bros at 4x. I have been trying to get zelda windwaker to play at 4x speed or even 9 if its possible with my hardware. It runs smooth at 4x in small areas of the game like inside buildings and stuff. However I got to the place after you get on the pirate ship (The place where they catapult you and you lose your sword) When I get to the part where I have to attack the people controlling the spot lights, it goes very very slow.

Now I have seen videos on youtube where people list having 8800gt 's and are running games super smooth.

I can list what version number of dolphin and what settings I have when i get home. Feel free to list settings that have worked best for you guys
Just an update...i have been reading on some other posts to stay away from all the newer revisions because they wont run as good (i downloaded the newest one they had up on friday or saturday night). Is this true and should I try the 2.0 release instead?
1. I'm assuming you're referring to the d3d9 backend since you did not specify
2. Therefore I assume you're referring to SSAA not MSAA/CSAA
3. You did not specify the resolution or efb scale you will be running at

By the way 4xSSAA is currently broken (6549 broke it). But it will be fixed soon. It will still give you the same performance hit as when it was working but it just won't reduce aliasing. This can be fixed in the mean time if you have an nvidia card by using nvidia inspector. I'll add details on how to do it to this post in just a sec.

A heavily OCed GTX560 should be sufficient for fractional + 4xSSAA at 1080p for most, if not all, games.

Edit:
-Download/unzip nvidia inspector 1.95
-Launch it and click the button on the right side with the tools
-Create a profile for "Dolphin"
-Add dolphin.exe to the profile
-Chance the AA compatibility bits in the Dolphin profile to 0x00008000 or 0x00080000
-Set AA mode to override the application
-Leave transparency multisampling and transparency supersampling off
-Set anti-aliasing to 2x2 SSAA
-Save the profile (the button is in the upper right corner)
-Launch dolphin.exe and set anti-aliasing to 4xSSAA in the graphics configuration, both in default and in every game you want to use it with
Software requirements

Don't use pixel lighting or more than Fractional
Don't use Efb to Ram.

mikel632

Hey Thanks for the quick reply guys....I used the Nvidia Inspector like you suggested...works pretty well. Sorry forgot to include the Res I am playing at...I am using 1080p...I hook up my comp to my 1080p LED 46' TV....Using a ps3 controller to play windwaker and then wiimotes for all the wii games. So what type of card/cpu would you need to play with max anti-aliasing at 1080p? Also I have heard some people using openGL instead of direct9....is there any advantages (like do some games run better using openGL?)
Quote:Also I have heard some people using openGL instead of direct9....is there any advantages (like do some games run better using openGL?)

Depends on the card. Test it yourself. Use whichever one is faster with the same settings for you.

Quote:So what type of card/cpu would you need to play with max anti-aliasing at 1080p?

Both your video card and cpu are fine. OC your cpu to 3.8GHz and that system will laugh at dolphin. Wind Waker is extremely demanding on the gpu in some areas, nothing you can do about that. But your current video card should be sufficient for fractional efb scale + 4xSSAA at 1080p. Perhaps you left efb scale on integral? If it's still not fast enough.....well then I guess you would need a GTX580 for that particular spot in wind waker.

shutupcanu

Sorry to piggyback on someone else's thread, but when you say Wind Waker is GPU-demanding, just how demanding is it? I use an 8800GTS 640MB, will I get away with 20-30FPS throughout the game if I go bare minimum (640x480, no AA, 1x anisotropic, etc)?
Depends on your cpu. At 640 x 480 with no AA even WW isn't very demanding so your video card is fine for that.