Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Playing Game disc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

jj_fuller60

My Wii took a crap on me, so instead of buying a new one, I downloaded Dolphin. Can I play the game discs that I already purchased using Dolphin?
Yes, it is possible to play the games by dumping the disc to the computer. To perform this, you need a specific drive (there's about 5 LG drives and 1 Pioneer drive that work). From there, you can use a program called RawDump that will create an iso file of the disc, allowing you to play the game on computer.
But don't expect any miracles of perfect emulation, depending on which games you have you may suffer from huge losses when it comes to gaming experience.

Such as if you want to use your Wiimote(s) you have to buy a Bluetooth dongle.

Music and sound isn't 100% and so is the graphics.
And depending on which kind of hardware you have on your rig don't expect 100% speed in all games.

Sure you can play the games on Dolphin, but first you must as parasite64 said buy a special drive, then a BT dongle.

I would actually either:
1. Get my Wii repaired
2. Buy a cheaper used Wii, there are plenty for sale

Just my 2 cents, with a real Wii you don't have to compromise the gaming experience.
Its really very great to paay the online games and game playing on the disc needs the too much higher configuration of your system.
The way I see it, I would never actually sit down in front of my TV to play the wii or any other console. Call me lazy, but I'd rather just be sitting in my chair, chilling with some music on my speakers and playing whatever game that takes my fancy. With Dolphin, I can do that (to some extent, as some games dont work, but beggars can't be choosers). And besides, playing games in HD is just a very nice addition (seriously, LoZ:WW looks bloody awesome on my screen)!

It's really up to you what you want to do!
(03-18-2011, 11:51 AM)jj_fuller60 Wrote: [ -> ]My Wii took a crap on me, so instead of buying a new one, I downloaded Dolphin. Can I play the game discs that I already purchased using Dolphin?

However I haven't tested but Once I googled how to get wii gamedisks working on pc/laptop and it said that if you use the same CD/DVD ROM then you they may work, I think WII uses some LG CD/DVD ROM, not sure.