Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Idea: integration into XBMC or Boxee
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Grahamf

Wouldn't it be great if you could run Dolphin on Your Home theatre PC? Most will be running Windows (possibly Mac if you have a Mini in your system), with a program such as XBMC to make it more home theater friendly. I don't know the details, but I think that all is needed is to ensure Wiimote compatibility and to make a XBMC/Boxee plugin that handles Dolphin's GUI. This would allow for 1080p gaming in the living room, and 3D (but to take advantage of 3D tvs requires some heavy-duty coding, right?)

Is this a possibility? And could it actually accept Wii Gamcube disks? From what I've seen, Dolphin requires ripped game disks to work. why is that?
games on HDD will not have any latency/spin-up issues that could happen with a CD

i honestly have no idea what XBMC or boxee is
(i do know of someone called boxxy tho)
xbmc is a media solution i think introduced with the first xbox

and i think they have a wiimote plugin... Big Grin
but dolphin wont work on a normal media centre...
a 3ghz cpu ist not a normal setup... (for playable speed)
and near 4ghz oc for fullspeed

you dont want a i7 @4ghz bursting his 90x90 cooler with 50db's
Sorry but:
People who have no clue should restrain themselves from proposing "great" ideas.
Fail Idea.

Grahamf

(03-03-2011, 09:14 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]xbmc is a media solution i think introduced with the first xbox

and i think they have a wiimote plugin... Big Grin
but dolphin wont work on a normal media centre...
a 3ghz cpu ist not a normal setup... (for playable speed)
and near 4ghz oc for fullspeed

you dont want a i7 @4ghz bursting his 90x90 cooler with 50db's

Sorry, what?

If you're running a HTPC with Windows, it most likely meets or exceeds the requirements for Dolphin (Windows, ~2Ghz processor, decent GPU) All a HTPC with something such as XBMC does is run an app that makes it more couch friendly. you can download and install XBMC on your computer RIGHT now to see what I mean http://xbmc.org/ . The only thing needed for compatibility is a plugin that manages Dolphin's GUI, because otherwise you have to minimize XBMC, launch Dolphin, and navigate the GUI from 10 feet away. Not impossible, just inconvenient.
Quote:If you're running a HTPC with Windows, it most likely meets or exceeds the requirements for Dolphin (Windows, ~2Ghz processor, decent GPU) All a HTPC with something such as XBMC does is run an app that makes it more couch friendly. you can download and install XBMC on your computer RIGHT now to see what I mean http://xbmc.org/ . The only thing needed for compatibility is a plugin that manages Dolphin's GUI, because otherwise you have to minimize XBMC, launch Dolphin, and navigate the GUI from 10 feet away. Not impossible, just inconvenient.

Assumptions get you banned.
(03-04-2011, 06:38 PM)Grahamf Wrote: [ -> ]the requirements for Dolphin

(03-04-2011, 06:38 PM)Grahamf Wrote: [ -> ]Windows
Aha?

(03-04-2011, 06:38 PM)Grahamf Wrote: [ -> ]~2Ghz processor
Yeah, if all you want to run is NSMB or SSBM/B...
This gentleman has a great idea and it seems the moderators are all too quick to bully those who do. I have been in the htpc community for several years...before it was even called htpc and only those of us with electronics and engineering backgrounds were doing it. Having said that, I have a pretty good finger on what the htpc community is doing and what it will be doing. Most htpc enthusiasts indeed do have decent machines that would run most dolphin wii games at a playable state...hell my secondary htpc is good enough. How do I know this? Because I've tried it. This gentleman is only saying that it would be nice to see the two arenas combined since they usually share the same stage (your tv in the living room with a pc hooked up to it). Most are probably having their htpc pull this double-duty already....it would be nice however to see them play well together....stop bullying!
"This gentleman" sure might have a great idea (although I tend to disagree), but he has no real clue what he's talking about and in the end it's just one of thousands of ideas which may sound great but won't ever get implemented by anyone.

Bringing up the idea isn't the problem, it's finding someone to do it. And reading a proposal won't magically motivate someone to implement stuff like this.
Pages: 1 2