Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: recommend me a custom gaming pc for dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

jneul

Hi there, I have a 5yr old pc than is capable of running dolphin, but it runs very very slow, im looking to be able to play on my wii games with hopefully a higher fps than what i can get on my rig, sadly its very slow at around 10-20fps and very unbearable.
So can anyone recommend and pc harware for me to throw together for my next pc as i really want to be able to play on wii games without actually owning a wii, please remember i live in the uk, thankyouBig Grin
Depends on how much money you have...
build a pc or buy nintendo wii

jneul

(03-02-2011, 01:42 AM)knglrk Wrote: [ -> ]build a pc or buy nintendo wii

thanks, i already said i needed recomendations for building pcs used to build pcs 10 years ago alot has changed since then... plus i will have a gaming pc as well capable of playing on the latest windows games
(03-02-2011, 01:41 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]Depends on how much money you have...

my limit is around £1000
(03-02-2011, 01:40 AM)jneul Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there, I have a 5yr old pc than is capable of running dolphin, but it runs very very slow, im looking to be able to play on my wii games with hopefully a higher fps than what i can get on my rig, sadly its very slow at around 10-20fps and very unbearable.
So can anyone recommend and pc harware for me to throw together for my next pc as i really want to be able to play on wii games without actually owning a wii, please remember i live in the uk, thankyouBig Grin

Maybe whats good for me isnt good for you and vice-versa. For me a good rig would have a processador overclocked to 3.6+ (have in mind overclock will require a good cooler and a good case), a gtx 460, 6+ gigas of Ram (corsair/ocz/etc). If you will use raid 0, or just 1 good speed SSD drive or none of those, probably will not affect dolphin and is up to you. Ok, again, for me, that is a good spec and will run almost everything on full hd resolution at playable speeds.

Disregarding the overclock stuff, using a 3.0 Ghtz CPU (amd x6 1090t or a i7 950 or even a c2d 8xxx) would probably give you a good experience too if you are not that much of a demanding person.
(03-02-2011, 01:55 AM)jneul Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2011, 01:42 AM)knglrk Wrote: [ -> ]build a pc or buy nintendo wii

thanks, i already said i needed recomendations for building pcs used to build pcs 10 years ago alot has changed since then... plus i will have a gaming pc as well capable of playing on the latest windows games
(03-02-2011, 01:41 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]Depends on how much money you have...

my limit is around £1000

well it depends on what you decide to get to build your pc but suggest to view this old forum thread

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=3090

That guide is horrible outdated...
The money also depends on your country (mine is extra exepensive...)
Anyway, looks like enough for a really good PC, for Dolphin you would prioritize CPU a bit over GPU, which for other gaming is a dump decision. But with that money you should get a good of both I guess. The sandy bridge i5/i7 are reported to run most games fullspeed, not sure which aren't, probably some MMU games.
-sandy bridge cpu
-P67 mobo from asus, gigabyte, or evga
-8GB or 4GB of ddr3 1600
-Power supply from antec, coolermaster, ocz, or corsair (their are other good brands too but I don't want to list them all) > or = 600watts
-DVD drive
-Case (fulltower if you can afford it)
-hard drive of at least 500GB capacity from samsung or western digital
-Decent aftermarket air cooler (too many to list)
-A decent video card (whatever you can afford)

wu105

I personally have a:
Sandy Bridge i5 2500K
Gigabyte P67-UD3
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 Standard Clock
Corsair GS600 Power Supply
Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 MHz (2x2Gig Dual Channels)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD (7200 RPM)
Cooler Master HAF922
This is more of a "Hardcore" PC gaming setup, and while I haven't tested it with Dolphin, it should emulate most games with a higher FPS.
Cost: 1055.98 USD, Motherboard and processor in a $257 bundle deal.
CAUTION: INTEL HAS ISSUED A RECALL OF ALL P67 AND H67 MOTHERBOARDS ON THE NEW SERIES 6 CHIPSETS (SANDY BRIDGE ARCHITECTURE) DUE TO A FAULTY SATA2 PORTS. THIS ISSUE CAUSES THE SATA2 PORTS TO DEGRADE TO THE POINT THAT NO OPTICAL DRIVES PLUGGED INTO SATA2 PORTS WILL WORK. SATA3 PORTS ARE UNAFFECTED.
I recommend you wait until Intel gets the new chipsets out in April.