Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How does the motion tracking work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Productboi

Ok I have one tiny question before I go out and organise a Wii-mote...

How does the PC/Bluetooth track motion from the controller, I see there is no talk of setting up the IR receiver that comes with the wii.... so then how?

A follow on question would be, in all honesty how well does the emu track the pointer?

Great work by the by, I have been dying to get stuck into some of my old gamecube games.
you use a wireless or a usb sensor bar since a pc doesn't have the correct port for a normal wii sensor bar. Wiimotes work great in dolphin, i have never had any trouble with the motion tracking before (as long as you are far enough away from the screen - same applies to any tv though).
You need a Wii sensor bar. Or just two sources of Infra Red (IR) light. Search "candle sensor bar" on Google to find out more.

Productboi

Hey guys, thanks for the responses

Ok fair enough, it makes sense that you would need to create a IR sensor bar... now...

As far as dolphin goes, Is it best to mod a wii sensor bar or create your own, do you configure the wii-moition pointer as you would if you had a wii console? ( and why wasn't this covered in the "connecting your wii-mote" ection of dolphin?)

and finally (sorry for the 21 questions) is it safe to build your own usb sensor bar... I would hate to short my motherboard.
The wii's official calibration features doesn't have much options, I'm sure the devs could probably make a better one if they used hybrid wiimote. So don't worry about your custom bar being a little off, you won't get it to match perfectly with the screen anyway. I don't know any more about USB than you, all I can say is be carefull.
(02-25-2011, 03:45 PM)Productboi Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, thanks for the responses

Ok fair enough, it makes sense that you would need to create a IR sensor bar... now...

As far as dolphin goes, Is it best to mod a wii sensor bar or create your own, do you configure the wii-moition pointer as you would if you had a wii console? ( and why wasn't this covered in the "connecting your wii-mote" ection of dolphin?)

and finally (sorry for the 21 questions) is it safe to build your own usb sensor bar... I would hate to short my motherboard.

It is quite safe to build your own usb sensor bar IF you know what you are doing. There are probably several tutorials on the intarweb if you look. I bought a wireless sensor and modified it to use an old cell phone charger to power it. Refer to this thread.. http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=13881

BTW this thread is under the wrong topic and will probably get moved to support or some such.
Moved, this belongs in the General Discussion section, not the section for questions and feedback about the website.