Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OK,I surrender....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well...I'm thinking about doing an upgrade.

I have $200(R$ 333),and I'm thinking...What can I upgrade?CPU?Or GPU?

For the GPU,I'm thinking about a GeForce GT 430,and for CPU,I don't know what fit in my socket(LGA775),and witch one I upgrade to do best speed on Dolphin,CPU or GPU.

See my specifications in my signature.

Thanks!!!Wink

EDIT:Is this topic in the right session?
CPU, surely. Try getting the clock up.
You mean...If I upgrade my CPU and hold my GPU,I'll have full speed in most games?(With anti aliasing and high resolutions?)

Because...First I get the one who speeds up.And later,when I have sufficient money,I'll buy the other one,to have full speed in all games and full resolution,anti aliasing...Blablabla....
you will need to upgrade your videocard as well.
I have a E8400 core2duo @ 3.00GHz, which is probably one of the fastest socket 775 processors. (The quads don't help because dolphin can only use two cores.) I also have the GeForce 8400. I get anywhere from half to full speed depending on the game. This is with EFB scale set to fractional and resolution at 800 x 600 or less. I don't know how slow a dual pentium is, but I doubt a better 775 processor will give you the amount of speed you want. To play at full speed most of the time, you need a new CPU and motherboard. An i7 would be best, but that would be well over the $200 budget. If you get a new graphics card, you'll be able to play at the same speeds you're getting now, but with better resolution.
Yeah, you're probably better off saving up more cash if you want Dolphin speed
(02-21-2011, 12:47 PM)Leo Wrote: [ -> ]You mean...If I upgrade my CPU and hold my GPU,I'll have full speed in most games?(With anti aliasing and high resolutions?)

Because...First I get the one who speeds up.And later,when I have sufficient money,I'll buy the other one,to have full speed in all games and full resolution,anti aliasing...Blablabla....

You will only be able to play at full speedy on full hd with the faster core 2 duo processor overclocked to 3.6+ and a middle end video card, and even with that setup you would have to lower resolutions and details on several games.

Dont dream that much right now or you can be dissapointed, you need to save money to change for a completely new rig to be able to play at decent speedy / details. Although if you can get the better core 2 duo available and get a middle end video card you will be able to play everything very satisfactorily.

Noselessmonk

I don't know, I have a Phenom II x4 940. It runs at 3Ghz and with DC enabled, I get pretty much full speed.

If you are upgrading solely to get more speed from Dolphin, the CPU is what will give you the biggest boost. If you were to go from what you have now(Pentium D is hardly more than 2 Pentium 4s slapped together) to any modern dual or more CPU you will see a very noticeable difference.

The video card only comes into play when you turn up the resolution. Upgrading it would allow you to play at nice res but if your CPU can't handle it to begin with, you won't notice any difference in Dolphin.

If you play actual PC games on your computer, then you would definitely want to upgrade your Video Card and probably your CPU too.