Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Discussion about Dlistcache
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dlistcache is almost perfect on 7187x64 (without issues), but still has "Issues"

RE4 crashes every time in the same place if you leave this option enabled,see the image below

[attachment=5514]

(in short, if I press "A" on that door the game crashes.(Disabling Dlistcache works perfect)

Dlistcahe on Arc Rise Fantasia make the game random crash.

For now these are the "Issues" I have found, if you have more please post them here.Wink
Just so you know, dlist cache is never going to work perfectly (in my opinion). Figuring out what data can and cannot be cached is nearly impossible without the source code of the game (you never know what data the game will need to change/update even if it remains static throughout most of the game), I am amazed it's reached this status already. Rodolfo should be proud.

Even though I don't think it will ever reach perfect status I'll still do some testing and contribute to this thread in a week when I have time. If anyone has MP I am extremely curios to see how dlist caching effects the performance of the big rooms in chozo ruins. In theory it should have a HUGE impact there.
(02-20-2011, 04:31 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Just so you know, dlist cache is never going to work perfectly (in my opinion). Figuring out what data can and cannot be cached is nearly impossible without the source code of the game (you never know what data the game will need to change/update even if it remains static throughout most of the game), I am amazed it's reached this status already. Rodolfo should be proud.

Even though I don't think it will ever reach perfect status I'll still do some testing and contribute to this thread in a week when I have time. If anyone has MP I am extremely curios to see how dlist caching effects the performance of the big rooms in chozo ruins. In theory it should have a HUGE impact there.
Dlistcache works perfect in both Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, no crashes, but in Metroid Other M, this option seems to cause more game lags all the time.

Dlistcache (in my opinion) will be perfect one day.Smile

Accurate Vbeam emulation in Metroid Prime, in Chozo ruins here reaches 40 at 60fps now with this option enabled.Smile (both Dlistcache and Accurate Vbeam emulation)

With Dlistcache (only) is 30fps, 60vps, 100% speed.Huh
Anyway, it's a big increase in speed for a game that uses all the power of the GC.SmileCool

[attachment=5519]

Dlistcache is only bad for some games,for now.Wink

Metroid Prime is here now "full speed " almost all the time, the game that uses the most power of the GC and the better graphics of the GC too.Big Grin
I'm more interested in how much dlist caching effects performance in chozo ruins (big rooms in particular) by itself. Please test dlist cache on/off with these settings:

Use fps for limiting on
Framelimit set to 60
Progressive scan on
HLE audio and audio throttle off
accurate vbeam emulation off (as well as any other adjustments you made to game properties settings)
Efb copy to texture
accurate texture cache off
CPU efb access disabled
emulate format changes disabled
Everything else unchecked or off

This will ensure nothing else created a bottleneck that might dampen the effect of dlist caching. Just use these settings for testing it and tell me what you got with dlist caching on and off. That room that you took a screenshot of is the perfect room for this.

Quote:Metroid Other M, this option seems to cause more game lags all the time.

What do you mean? It's literally impossible for this option to create any decrease in performance. If the cache is flushed it might create a brief stutter.
It seems I can't get this option to work or something, I don't get speedups anywhere (I did on the revs after it was just introduced and got huge speedups). Can someone tell someplaces it will cause a glitch so I can see if I get it?
That depends. A lot of dlist cache bugs have been fixed in recent revisions. Do you have SMG or SMG2? I got a decent performance increase from dlist caching in recent builds on SMG2.
(02-20-2011, 02:43 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Progressive scan on
Why Enable Progressive scan,this increase performance (speed)?
(02-20-2011, 02:43 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I'm more interested in how much dlist caching effects performance in chozo ruins (big rooms in particular) by itself. Please test dlist cache on/off

Dlistcache ON
With fps for limit and with dlist
[attachment=5532]

Without fps for limit and with dlist
[attachment=5533]
Dlistcache OFF
With fps for limit and without dlist
[attachment=5534]

Without fps for limit and without dlist
[attachment=5535]
Odd. Almost no difference in fps. I'll test this myself when I get a chance.

Quote:Why Enable Progressive scan,this increase performance (speed)?

It seems to heavily impact the way vbeam emulation works for some reason.
(02-21-2011, 09:19 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Odd. Almost no difference in fps. I'll test this myself when I get a chance.

The speed of this game has increased because of the FIFO, right, Now the fifo is more stable on Latest Builds.Smile