Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: XFB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is XFBHuh
XFB stands for external framebuffer. It's a static location in the GC/Wii memory where a framebuffer object is stored. After a game copies a framebuffer object from the efb into the xfb scaling, frame merging, conversion from RGB to YUV, and other changes are applied to the copy in the xfb to prepare it to be scanned out to the display in yuv format.
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/search.php
(02-16-2011, 10:14 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]XFB stands for external framebuffer. It's a static location in the GC/Wii memory where a framebuffer object is stored. After a game copies a framebuffer object from the efb into the xfb scaling, frame merging, conversion from RGB to YUV, and other changes are applied to the copy in the xfb to prepare it to be scanned out to the display in yuv format.

don't cater for lazy people.

Xtra Flatulent Beans.

In all seriousness, I believe it's referred to as the External Frame Buffer although I'm unsure exactly what it does other than rendering the game/efb in the native resolution.

:Edit: Damnit you guys ruined my post by posting. Dodgy
Quote:In all seriousness, I believe it's referred to as the External Frame Buffer although I'm unsure exactly what it does other than rendering the game/efb in the native resolution.

I partially answered that above. It does not change the internal resolution. For real xfb the resolution is scaled to the native, while for virtual xfb it is scaled to the backbuffer resolution (your screen resolution). Real xfb emulates it as an fbo in main memory (the xfb stuff is actually coded into the game). Virtual xfb uses a texture in video memory to emulate it (so some xfb code that the game uses might not work properly) and uses a different scaling filter.
Thanks for the quick answerersSmile
Good to know, thanks, NaturalViolence and Xtreme2damax.Wink
i have noticed that several games require xfb to get past the intro videos like with capcom vs snk eo.
I have noticed that enabling XFB was needed in the newer revisions, to not drown my screen in shadow or fog (DX 9)
An issue I never had before btw. (and still don't have if I use DX 11)

I also noticed, that enabling XFB would cause crashes at some point where a crash isn't fathomable, like when the game is just waiting for an input while I get myself some drinks.
And that setting XFB to real instead of virtual would cause a very bad visual, like a .jpg with too much compression.

@ Squall Leonhart:
Although I'm not the one who opened this thread, I did use the search feature to do some research about XFB.
Almost all of the results were about whether or not it would be good to enable or disable XFB in a particular game.
As I didn't feel like browsing through hundreds of pages and as I knew how people like you react, when noobs ask question, I just gave up.

Seriously though, if you don't wish to answer, don't do it.
Quote:And that setting XFB to real instead of virtual would cause a very bad visual, like a .jpg with too much compression.

Real xfb is designed to perfectly emulate how the xfb works on the real wii. In theory if it's working perfectly it should cause the game to look exactly the same as it would on a real wii. It scales the same way as the real wii and uses the same resolution (720 x 480). You'll also get the crappier framerate and color depth of the real wii's video output as well.

XFB should not be causing any crashes so I don't know what to say about that.
Pages: 1 2