Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: pc specs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

darky93

all i am new here and i just want to know i i am able to play games with dolphin, this are my pc specs :
RAM:2 gb DDR2
Processor:AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core processor 5600+ 2.90 ghz
GPU:ATI Radeon HD 4650 1gb DDR2. are this good enough?
Quote:Processor:AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core processor 5600+ 2.90 ghz

No. Get a better cpu.
(02-14-2011, 05:54 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Processor:AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core processor 5600+ 2.90 ghz

No. Get a better cpu.

I find that hard to believe, my desktop (Intel E5200, OC from 2.5 to 3.06GHz) runs almost every game I have with no problems (except for F-Zero in Grand Prix, but after I kill a few and get to 1st place theres no problems)
Performance per clock of an athlon X2 in vector math and applications that do a lot of branching (such as dolphin) is way lower than a core 2 duo. Clock rate is not a unit of performance, you can only use it to compare the same chip. An athlon X2 at 3.0GHz is about equal to a high end core 2 duo at 2.1GHz as far as dolphin is concerned.
My friend have that exact CPU plus a 9800GT and he gets 100% speed on most GC games he have... He doesnt have a wii but I guess it should run fine.
He runs with no antialias in 1080p (he's got a fancy big tv lol).
He must be running some really lightweight GC games then. Most games will not run well on an athlon X2.
My games run well enough on an athlon X2.. Look, mine is a very low clock CPU and still I get 80% speed on games like Mario Sunshine, Melee, Wind Waker, Wave Race, and 60% speed on Fzero GX and Zelda TP for GC..

It's an old CPU but it's not crap, specially if you get a high clocked one.

All you have to do is turn off antialias and texture filters. I use to run these games in 1024x768, but I get like 5 fps loss if I take it to 1600x900 for example.
60% speed in not good by my standards.

Quote:80% speed on games like Mario Sunshine, Melee, Wind Waker, Wave Race

These are lightweight games. Yet I'm astounded that your performance is that high considering your cpu

Quote:It's an old CPU but it's not crap, specially if you get a high clocked one.

By modern standards it is crap.

Quote:All you have to do is turn off antialias and texture filters. I use to run these games in 1024x768, but I get like 5 fps loss if I take it to 1600x900 for example.

That's related to gpu performance not cpu.

He needs a better cpu if he wants to play most games at fullspeed, end of story.
Not to mention, if he wants to play Wii games, he'll need a more powerful CPU than for GC games, since the Wii CPU is about 50% faster than the GC one.
In small indoor environments ZWW will run close to full speed. In outdoor environments it the Athlon X 2 will choke, taking a hit of 52% - 55% and the game will run at around 11 FPS - 13 FPS. When I had my Athlon X 2 3800+ system I was only getting 13 FPS at best on Outset Island and outside Forsaken Fortress.