Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How I get full speed in Donkey Kong Country Returns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

kASHM1r

I finally found out which setting gives a huge speedboost, so that i can run the game with 100% speed with Dolphin r7064.
There are some improving settings which are already known like:
JIT Recompiler on 64 bit system
EFB copy to texture
But there is another one which has improved my gamespeed from average 80% to stable 100% with an AMD Phenom II 955 BE CPU @ stock.
Go to the gameproperties and turn Accurate VBeam emulation on with a check mark, NOT with a quad! I dunno why but this helps alot in my case.
Game runs at constant 100 % now and it is damn funny xD.
So here the exact settings:
[Image: settingso.png]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I dunno if someone has already postet this or if it is working for you too, but if it helps you too, let me know.
Greetz
kASHM1r
(02-13-2011, 07:26 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]oh, look daco, it seems we struck a nerfherder.

it seems we struck a cleanup of posts

ye, cleanup in an attempt this thread can have its life...(if it'll have any cause imo settings stuff are just coincidence or logical )

@ the deleted post of janjaum : says the one who registered just to call us lifeless XD
Boy ... first post .. first miracle!

I had not noticed before!
I made the changes you suggested, and magically dkcr goes to 60 fps!

Thank you very much!
Daco Thanks for the cleanup of the topic (I think you've done general cleaning, I guess).

I'm too excited!
I'm going to play XD
does this help with other games?
Err.. you got to be freaking kidding me o_o
(02-13-2011, 10:17 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]Err.. you got to be freaking kidding me o_o

I thought the same thing..

First of all, mmu or the mmu speed hack is not needed for DKCR, the game plays fine without either enabled. Also the mmu speed hack causes a slight decrease of performance, but not as bad as accurate mmu emulation.

Disabling Accurate Vbeam emulation should cause a speedup with the side effect of wildly fluctuating fps in some games. Enabling this option should not cause a speedup, rather decrease performance for accurate fps. However it has been stated that Accurate Vbeam emulation can be enabled without a hit in some games by enabling Progressive Scan.

Quote:Disabling Accurate Vbeam emulation should cause a speedup with the side effect of wildly fluctuating fps in some games. Enabling this option should not cause a speedup, rather decrease performance for accurate fps. However it has been stated that Accurate Vbeam emulation can be enabled without a hit in some games by enabling Progressive Scan.

In theory yes. But if you remember when it was first commited everyone was reporting the exact opposite behavior. A significant speedup with the option in exchange for creating problems such as fluctuating fps, the game sometimes running at double speed, and audio issues.

Also emulate efb format changes and cpu efb access should be off since they aren't needed. EFB scale should be set to fractional since integral scales aren't needed for this game.

Speedup disk transfer rate should be off since it can sometimes cause the game to crash when loading a level. Enable block merging should be on since it gives a small speedup. I don't know if it's true for other people but for some bizarre reason I get a small speedup from using lock threads to cores in all games.

I don't know if it affects accurate vbeam emulation but setting use fps for limiting to on, setting the framelimit to 60, and turning off audio throttle will also net a significant speedup over the default vps limiting + audio throttle.
(02-13-2011, 12:11 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if it's true for other people but for some bizarre reason I get a small speedup from using lock threads to cores in all games.

I don't know if it affects accurate vbeam emulation but setting use fps for limiting to on, setting the framelimit to 60, and turning off audio throttle will also net a significant speedup over the default vps limiting + audio throttle.

i use lock threads to cores too. i cant really tell if it gives me a performance boost or not. i also have been looking to find a difference between audio throttling as opposed to frame limiting and again i really cant see an fps difference between the two settings.
In SMG2 lock threads to cores makes the difference between 74% and 82%. FPS limiting vs. vps limiting + audio throttling sometimes makes the difference between 75% and 100% in MP.

abrinias

Heyy, I'm sorry, this may be a complete noob question, but I'm using Dolphin 4.0.2 and I can't find the game-specific settings anywhere!! I've been trying to get this damn game to run smoothly for a good two hours straight now. Please help me out.

(02-13-2011, 06:52 AM)kASHM1r Wrote: [ -> ]I finally found out which setting gives a huge speedboost, so that i can run the game with 100% speed with Dolphin r7064.
There are some improving settings which are already known like:
JIT Recompiler on 64 bit system
EFB copy to texture
But there is another one which has improved my gamespeed from average 80% to stable 100% with an AMD Phenom II 955 BE CPU @ stock.
Go to the gameproperties and turn Accurate VBeam emulation on with a check mark, NOT with a quad! I dunno why but this helps alot in my case.
Game runs at constant 100 % now and it is damn funny xD.
So here the exact settings:
[Image: settingso.png]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I dunno if someone has already postet this or if it is working for you too, but if it helps you too, let me know.
Greetz
kASHM1r
Pages: 1 2