Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin: Wind Waker SLOW NEEED HELP PLEASE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Huh Sad !! I am very very sorry if this is in the wrong place but i cant post in the games forum and I NEED HELP!! Sad Huh

i am having alot of trouble running wind waker on dolphin... it runs and looks great and sound works.. problem is it runs slow at only about 68 to 75 percent in the first town.. unless im inside a buiulding then it runs at 100 percent.. can anyone help me please give me some tips for settings or anything ( i already followed a few posts settings for exampl i hav dual cores enabled and direct 3d instead of open GL i set all the settings to what the wind waker page says). the thing is im running a gtx 470 (shud be more than good enuf lol), a quad core 64 bit AMD 2.20 ghz cpu, 4 gigs of high speed nvidia sli ram and i hav around 50 gigs free on my hardrive and i have read in places that people with systems that are much less powerful than mine seem to be running it fine at full speed?!? Sad ... i am wondering if my processor is the problem (should i try overcloking it???) any help would be amazing thanks guys Smile

pc specs:
GPU: Nvidia Gforce GTX 470
CPU: AMD phenom 9550 quad 2.20 ghz
Hdrive: 500 gigs
Ram: 4.0 gigs high speed nvidia sli
Pwr suply: 700 W corsair

p.s. my sister does own this game and i can play it but the graphics are so much better on my pc and i love using my ps3 controler over the GC one) (by the way if anyone is wondering how to use their PS3 controler on ur PC it is very very easy just google it to find the small driver, it works AWSOME!!!)
cheers: mark
Yea, your processor is the problem, clock speed is too low. If you feel confident in overclocking it then go for it, but if you don't then an upgrade wouldn't go astray.
The rest of the system is ok for wind waker.

You just need to significantly overclock the cpu. Not a good idea on stock cooling though
he needs to get a phenom that isn't junk first.
I would buy a phenom II 955 instead (if you have the money). First gen phenoms are terrible overclockers, even with aftermarket cooling you'll be lucky to get to 2.8GHz. And on top of that their performance per clock in vector intensive applications (like dolphin) is about 25-30% lower than a phenom II.

Or if you don't quite have the money for that a phenom II 720 would work just as well.
thanks for the help guys i am upgrading soon.. its just gay how fukin i can run evry pc game smooth as glass on my system eg. starcraft 2 cranked crysis, dead space 2 cranked.. but not run a fucking gamecube game its lame as hell
Well those games were designed for your platform. But to play a gamecube game you need to EMULATE the game not just run it. All of the code needs to be translated in real time into some equivalent code on your platfom.

Scott Stevens

Just putting my few cents in here. I'm a PC gamer and not usually an emulator, so forgive me for any stupid points I make here.

The Gen. 1 Phenoms are not very good overall for gaming... they do overall provide quite a large bottleneck for any games, emulated or not. It's mostly because of the small L2 cache and the old HT link, things like that. If you're planning on upgrading and you don't want to spend much, you could really go with just a Phenom II X4 940 or a Intel Core i5 760. Both are extremely powerful for their price range, but it depends on how much you want to spend...

If you can't spend $200 on a processor, then you can look into a Athlon II X4 640 or an Intel Core i3 540. They're both actually very powerful due to the 4 threads, and will most definitely outperform that old 1st Gen Phenom you have. They both cost around $110 from most retailers. However, if you do plan on upgrading, you'll need a new motherboard; The 1st Gen Phenoms use an AM2+ socket, which isn't really recommended for use with an Athlon II X4 chip.

Personally, I'd go with the Intel Core i3 540... it has better multi-threaded performance and better virtualization capabilities, which (theoretically) should benefit emulation. Or, you can wait for April when the new Intel motherboards will come out and you can get a new Sandy Bridge i3, which would outperform even a Phenom II X4 in most cases...

Just my opinions! Hope they contribute. :3
yo guys.. so i overclokd my processor got 2.5 ghz out of it.. and to my SUPRISED game runs at 100 percent.. cant beleave i was able to get that out of my processor
thanks for the advice it definatly payed off SmileSmile
lol you cant believe you got a 300mhz overlock?
Pages: 1 2