Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Low Perfomance in every GC Game.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Doommarine23

Hey guys, I've been a follower of Dolphin for awhile, but to cut to the point.

I've used several versions of Dolphin, like the official 2.0, or numerous revisions, ranging from 5000 to 6000, and the most latest release of 7120. I've tried numerous "custom" builds by community members, yet every game I have played, Wind Waker (US), Wind Waker (EU), Twilight Princess (US) and Soul Calibur 2 (US) have had horrible frame-rates.

The games would play at 10-15 FPS, typically lower. I've tried all kinds of settings, from disabling sound, to lowering my EFB scale, nothing has put even the slightest dent in my performance, it does not go higher or lower.
(50-53% speed for anyone curious)

I use the 8600GTS with 512MB, the X2 Athlon 2.8GHZ Dual-Core, and 2GB of DDR2 RAM. I run Windows Vista 32Bit, and have XP 32Bit ready to install if that's needed

I realize that Emulation is very very different from games built for the Native PC Format, but it's kind of sad to see that technically, a game from 2001 (Wind Waker) runs worse than Bad Company 2, but. As we all know, Emulation is different all together. Still, if anyone is curious as to how I play regular games? They run just fine.

Regardless, I don't know what to do, guys. I've spent hours looking up different versions and tweaks and all kinds of forum searches, but I haven't really found anything.

I don't know if it's my drivers or my hardware itself, I am stumped. I've tried all kinds of options, from Lock Threads, to enable Dual-Core, nothing has put the slightest dent in my Frame-rate, not for better or worse. I should be happy with what I have, but seeing as other people apparently run these games better, I think there is an underlying problem. Hell, even the rendering options don't make a difference (Direct 9, Direct 11, or OpenGL)
Quote:X2 Athlon 2.8GHZ

Is that and AMD64 X 2 or a newer AMD processor based on the Phenom II architecture? If it's the former, that explains the poor speed, games such as Windwaker, Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy are CPU/GPU intensive, Dolphin in general is CPU intensive. Some less intensive games such as Paper Mario, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Smash Brothers Melee may run fairly good but not full speed.

Doommarine23

Sadly, it's the AMD64 X2.

Assumed it was the CPU, (was hoping it wasn't, haha, it's the best CPU my old MOBO can support, sadly)

Though, one oddity I noticed is, sometimes I'll be switching settings around (In say, my Nivida Control Panel, or Fire Fox) and my FPS will shoot up to 95% or 200%.

Any idea what that is about?
Quote:Any idea what that is about?

Probably just a bug.

On an athlon X2 I'm not surprised with your results. They are terrible cpus by modern standards. And it takes a lot of cpu processing power for emulation of such a complex system.