Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Core options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Jonnyth3boy

Is there build to enable quad core processing? And if not? Why? I'd think it would be beneficial to us with quad core processors. Smile
Yes, tick "DSPLLE on thread". That is the Quad Core option.
I'll elaborate on this. Normally dolphin will use two cores + a very very tiny amount of a third. If you use the lle audio plugin (which is extremely slow) you can use the dsplle option to place the lle audio work on another thread, which will make dolphin effectively use more than two cores. This will speed up the lle audio emulation by about 10%. Even with this you still won't be able to achieve decent performance with lle audio. So you will most likely join the 99.99999999999% of dolphin users that use lhle audio instead for performance reasons and therefore don't use dsplle on thread. If you are one of them dolphin will use two cores and their is nothing you can do about it.

Also dsplle on thread still causes issues with zelda and mario games. Another reason why people don't use it.

Quote:And if not? Why?
Because every possible way to further divide work is either impossible to implement or so ludicrously difficult that no sane developer would try it.

You can't just wave a magic programming want and magically make the program perfectly divide it's work into 4 threads and still work properly.

Jonnyth3boy

Ok, my apologies, I didn't know if it was possible to implement, hence the question.
Lock thread to cores now increases the speed to Sandy Bridge (Socket 1155) and for Quad Core?Huh
Turbo Boost ????
Quote:Lock thread to cores now increases the speed to Sandy Bridge (Socket 1155) and for Quad Core?

In theory it should make turbo boost reach a higher clock rate, so yes.
(02-09-2011, 08:25 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]In theory it should make turbo boost reach a higher clock rate, so yes.
YeahBig Grin,thanks @NaturalViolence.Wink