Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: cISO Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Mistar Muffin

cISO support was added in a patch applied to SVN in late December, ref:

http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/iss...il?id=2708

I dumped a few games to cISO to test. First one I tried was Twilight Princess....worked great. That was the extent of my success, however. I tried many other games in cISO format with no luck. Loading the games results in a black screen. This occurred with Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl as examples.

I took the Mario Galaxy cISO file and converted to regular 4.3gb ISO and Dolphin played it perfectly. Same results with Smash Bros. I can only conclude that the cISO support patch isn't quite perfect but I wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience before I open an Issue on the bugtracker.
I tested Wii Play and it worked. If no one else are around I could probably dump SMG later. Btw what dumper did you use, I have a lot of them but not all use ciso, don't remember which one I used for that
I wouldn't advise it, i tried it and quite a few of my games didn't work at all. Epic Mickey stopped working, DKCR stopped working, No More Heroes stopped working, Sonic Colors stopped working, Super Mario Galaxy stopped working, Metroid Other M and Metroid Prime 3 both stopped working. Kirby's Epic Yarn and Mario Kart Wii booted up normally but crashed within 5 to 10 minutes.

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread...ight=major

I think it would just be easier to dump them regularly as .iso files and then compress them through Dolphin, they are usually around the same size when Dolphin compresses them.
USE GCZ

Mistar Muffin

I did not dump them directly to ciso. I dumped to iso using rawdump then converted to ciso to save space once things started getting cramped. I had never used Dolphin before simply because it did not have cISO support. I have checked on this frequently and tried the builds within 2 days of cISO support being added to SVN. For about a month I thought everything was kosher because all I tried was Twilight Princess. I do not even need to redump the games to make them work with Dolphin, all I need to do is convert the cISO back to regular ISO and the games work again. It is a problem with cISO support in Dolphin. For those saying just to use GCZ, here are my reasons for cISO:

1) Better compression
2) I would only need to store images in 1 format with no need to ever convert.

To expand on #2: I own a Wii and use a USB hard drive with a loader. I use Wii Backup Manager to add games to this drive. WBM can send ISO and cISO files to the USB hard drive, but not GCZ. If I store my games in GCZ, I will have to convert to ISO before I can send to my USB hard drive using WBM. However, if Dolphin had functioning cISO support, I could archive my images in cISO and never need to extract, convert, or redump, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

-Muffin
use a scrubbed iso

Mistar Muffin

(02-08-2011, 08:08 AM)shawnanastasio Wrote: [ -> ]use a scrubbed iso

Scrubbed ISOs still require additional compression like rar or 7zip in order to save space. The whole point I was trying to make in my previous post was the convenience of cISO. If I want to put a game on my USB HDD:

Wii Backup Manager -> cISO to HDD

If I want to play a game in dolphin, load the cISO directly (With working support).

With cISO, both actions only require one step and far less time than the decompression required before a scrubbed ISO could be used. cISO support was added to Dolphin and I don't understand the resistance to troubleshooting so that it may work properly...