Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my system fast enough ? please help.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(02-05-2011, 09:01 AM)IAmBill Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2011, 06:31 AM)jpm Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you all for you explanations. I have another question if you do not mind. I have a laptop Toshiba qosmio x505. is it possible for me to upgrade to a higher ghz of core i7 and also upgrade my graphics ?

On a manufactured laptop, usually the CPU is soldered in there... it can be removed, but not without getting your hands dirty... it's not quite like changing a processor on a whitebook.

The graphics, by the way are fine.

I'm running the latest Dolphin build on a Core i3 530 @ 3.6Ghz with a crappy 8800GT on my home theater computer. I run all games at 1080 with full FPS at all time with few exceptions. Occasionally Wind Waker will drop to around 45FPS when they're doing a lot of fog. Beyond that, everything runs smooth as silk... and the mobile GPU you're running there should perform equal to if not better than my 8800GT. It's all about the processor.

The GPU and CPU must work together in order to achieve decent speeds. As you can see I have overclocked my cpu but it only makes a marginal difference as compared to the original 2.8Ghz clock speed of my cpu. This is because my GPU cannot keep up with the speed of the cpu and slight bottlenecks are created. In your case, I would say what you are emulating doesn't require as much GPU power and therefore you are not getting bottlenecks. Even if you underclocked your cpu you would still not notice any decrease in fps.
(02-05-2011, 09:13 AM)theSpacec0wboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2011, 09:01 AM)IAmBill Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2011, 06:31 AM)jpm Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you all for you explanations. I have another question if you do not mind. I have a laptop Toshiba qosmio x505. is it possible for me to upgrade to a higher ghz of core i7 and also upgrade my graphics ?

On a manufactured laptop, usually the CPU is soldered in there... it can be removed, but not without getting your hands dirty... it's not quite like changing a processor on a whitebook.

The graphics, by the way are fine.

I'm running the latest Dolphin build on a Core i3 530 @ 3.6Ghz with a crappy 8800GT on my home theater computer. I run all games at 1080 with full FPS at all time with few exceptions. Occasionally Wind Waker will drop to around 45FPS when they're doing a lot of fog. Beyond that, everything runs smooth as silk... and the mobile GPU you're running there should perform equal to if not better than my 8800GT. It's all about the processor.

The GPU and CPU must work together in order to achieve decent speeds. As you can see I have overclocked my cpu but it only makes a marginal difference as compared to the original 2.8Ghz clock speed of my cpu. This is because my GPU cannot keep up with the speed of the cpu and slight bottlenecks are created. In your case, I would say what you are emulating doesn't require as much GPU power and therefore you are not getting bottlenecks. Even if you underclocked your cpu you would still not notice any decrease in fps.

Thank you, so it would be more fruitful to upgrade my cpu rather than my GPU, if I were only to upgrade one component.ok so one last question then are there specific cpu's for laptops or are they all similar and it wouldnt matter what i purchase ? would this processor work http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Intel-Core-i7-94...4cf4a69552 and would it be sufficient ? or this http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Core-i7-640M-C...2eb2b83b82 ?
In your case, yeah I'd upgrade the cpu before i touched the gpu although you have to remember that a pc is only as fast as it's slowest component, so if you are running an application such as dolphin which relies on both cpu and gpu power, then if your gpu isn't fast enough and you have a 4ghz cpu then your cpu will be held back by the gpu speeds and you won't be harnessing all the processing power available to you. Most laptops nowadays have either an intel i5 or i7 or an amd athlon or phenom. It doesn't matter which of these you get as long as it has a decent clock speed (i'd opt for 2.8ghz or over), so either of the processors you linked to would be fine. The number of cores is not important for dolphin, 2 is just fine, unless you are using the computer for other purposes that require more cores. Personally i'd go for an i7 with a high clock speed as intel processors have hyper threading, unlike amd. More threads means less cores are used for dolphin and therefore more processing power for other tasks. Also intel processors are traditionally somewhat better at gaming tasks because of said threading than amd equivalents, which are better suited to other tasks.
(02-05-2011, 09:32 AM)theSpacec0wboy Wrote: [ -> ]In your case, yeah I'd upgrade the cpu before i touched the gpu although you have to remember that a pc is only as fast as it's slowest component, so if you are running an application such as dolphin which relies on both cpu and gpu power, then if your gpu isn't fast enough and you have a 4ghz cpu then your cpu will be held back by the gpu speeds and you won't be harnessing all the processing power available to you. Most laptops nowadays have either an intel i5 or i7 or an amd athlon or phenom. It doesn't matter which of these you get as long as it has a decent clock speed (i'd opt for 2.8ghz or over), so either of the processors you linked to would be fine. The number of cores is not important for dolphin, 2 is just fine, unless you are using the computer for other purposes that require more cores. Personally i'd go for an i7 with a high clock speed as intel processors have hyper threading, unlike amd. More threads means less cores are used for dolphin and therefore more processing power for other tasks. Also intel processors are traditionally somewhat better at gaming tasks because of said threading than amd equivalents, which are better suited to other tasks.

Thank you so much I will order the first link I provided right away. I hope it won't be to hard pulling out the soldered cpu that is already in my system. There should be some youtube videos that would help,
(02-05-2011, 09:13 AM)theSpacec0wboy Wrote: [ -> ]The GPU and CPU must work together in order to achieve decent speeds. As you can see I have overclocked my cpu but it only makes a marginal difference as compared to the original 2.8Ghz clock speed of my cpu. This is because my GPU cannot keep up with the speed of the cpu and slight bottlenecks are created. In your case, I would say what you are emulating doesn't require as much GPU power and therefore you are not getting bottlenecks. Even if you underclocked your cpu you would still not notice any decrease in fps.
There is hardly any bottlenecking on an emulated architecture since most of the emulation (even graphical) is done on the CPU, not the GPU. And I'm certainly not being bottlenecked by the GPU as I have played at the standard clock speed of 2.93Ghz and there is a difference.

Also, it's pretty absurd to suggest that all CPUs perform equally clock-for-clock. A Phenom II does not perform as well as an i7 at the same clock speed, hyper-threading or not. There are plenty of benchmarks to back that up. To say otherwise would tell me that you don't really know what clock speed is.

To the OP, while I'm not too current on mobile processor benchmarks, I'd guess that both of the processors you linked to should be satisfactory... what you really need to understand is that most of the speed issues you'll encounter in an emulator is in the software not the hardware. You could buy the best CPU and GPU available and it won't guarantee perfect playability. So to throw $400+ dollars down on a processor you might not be able to install and will certainly not make every single game perfectly playable is not a decision you should take lightly unless you throw that money away on lunch every day.
Even if I were to overclock my cpu to 5ghz, i can assure you there would be no extreme rise in performance. Ever heard of von neumann architecture? That's how computer systems are designed, and that architecture leads itself to develop bottlenecks in the system. It wouldn't matter how fast my bus speed was, the data processed by my gpu wouldn't be able to keep up with the clock of my cpu and so you lose efficiency between the gpu and cpu. The emulated architecture comes into play but you can't just forget about basic architecture behind that. And yes, i do know that all cpus perform differently clock for clock. And if you don't think a GPU is important, then why do you have one? Why not just use integrated graphics? Oh yea, that's right, cos you will get crap performance with integrated graphics. Funny that.
(02-05-2011, 12:45 PM)theSpacec0wboy Wrote: [ -> ]Even if I were to overclock my cpu to 5ghz, i can assure you there would be no extreme rise in performance. Ever heard of von neumann architecture? That's how computer systems are designed, and that architecture leads itself to develop bottlenecks in the system. It wouldn't matter how fast my bus speed was, the data processed by my gpu wouldn't be able to keep up with the clock of my cpu and so you lose efficiency between the gpu and cpu. The emulated architecture comes into play but you can't just forget about basic architecture behind that. And yes, i do know that all cpus perform differently clock for clock. And if you don't think a GPU is important, then why do you have one? Why not just use integrated graphics? Oh yea, that's right, cos you will get crap performance with integrated graphics. Funny that.
I never claimed that a GPU didn't matter, at all. I said that a GTS 250m wasn't going to bottleneck anything at 1080p. Anything. With that graphics card he could likely throw in AA and AF and still not see any reduction in performance with a significantly more powerful CPU. So why is the OP concerning himself at all about graphical performance? It's because someone here suggested it might need an upgrade, which is why I chimed in in the first place.

I have no interest in arguing about this. The only point that needs to be made here is that the OP has more to worry about than the very decent mobile graphics processor that he has.
(02-05-2011, 12:56 PM)IAmBill Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2011, 12:45 PM)theSpacec0wboy Wrote: [ -> ]Even if I were to overclock my cpu to 5ghz, i can assure you there would be no extreme rise in performance. Ever heard of von neumann architecture? That's how computer systems are designed, and that architecture leads itself to develop bottlenecks in the system. It wouldn't matter how fast my bus speed was, the data processed by my gpu wouldn't be able to keep up with the clock of my cpu and so you lose efficiency between the gpu and cpu. The emulated architecture comes into play but you can't just forget about basic architecture behind that. And yes, i do know that all cpus perform differently clock for clock. And if you don't think a GPU is important, then why do you have one? Why not just use integrated graphics? Oh yea, that's right, cos you will get crap performance with integrated graphics. Funny that.
I never claimed that a GPU didn't matter, at all. I said that a GTS 250m wasn't going to bottleneck anything at 1080p. Anything. With that graphics card he could likely throw in AA and AF and still not see any reduction in performance with a significantly more powerful CPU. So why is the OP concerning himself at all about graphical performance? It's because someone here suggested it might need an upgrade, which is why I chimed in in the first place.

I have no interest in arguing about this. The only point that needs to be made here is that the OP has more to worry about than the very decent mobile graphics processor that he has.

Thank you very much for your expertise bill. I ended up purchasing an i7 - 920xm I hope it will be enough.
I got a intel core 2 duo e8400 3.0 Ghz with 3 Gig ram with a ati radeon hd 3800 series graphic card...
When i play wii sports, i got 50% speed with average 29 fps. Almost the same with super mario galaxy 1.
Can anybody help me to get decent speed and fps??
Settings?
Revision?
OS?
Pages: 1 2 3