Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need to solve the Stuttering problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all.

I intend to use the RAM drive, but unfortunately I only have 4GB of ram ... Which is why I can not upload the ISO dumped by my Wii games.

My question is:
What is faster: a SSD (Solid State Disk) or RAM Disk?

Should I buy additional 4Gb of RAM, to be used for a single iso at a time, or an SSD drive?

Unfortunately I have to totally solve the problem of Stuttering with the following games (Resident Evil 0 Wii - Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles - Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles).
Fortunately, Resident Evil Rebirth Wii works just fine, no problems of stuttering.

I look forward to your response.
Thanks in advance
do not even waste your time with a ram drive, there is no performance benefit.
I ve read alot of threads about this program...but...then... RAM Disk not solve the stuttering problem? O_O
stuttering has nothing to do with accessing the game data, its the processing of that data that does it.
At what rate do you think wii accesses data from the discs anyway? When I rip mine it's like 5MB/S...
(02-02-2011, 10:44 PM)IceD_X Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately I have to totally solve the problem of Stuttering with the following games (Resident Evil 0 Wii - Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles - Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles).
Fortunately, Resident Evil Rebirth Wii works just fine, no problems of stuttering.
You need OC on your CPU (3.6GHz or more),It's the only way to solve the problem of Stuttering.
ATTENTION:If you do not know how to make OC, forget it, you will burn your CPU.
(02-02-2011, 10:44 PM)IceD_X Wrote: [ -> ]My question is:
What is faster: a SSD (Solid State Disk) or RAM Disk?

Use dolphin to read your games,RAM Disk it's illusion.
Quote:What is faster: a SSD (Solid State Disk) or RAM Disk?

Ramdisk by far.

Quote:Should I buy additional 4Gb of RAM, to be used for a single iso at a time, or an SSD drive?

Neither. Both would be a waste of money.

Quote:do not even waste your time with a ram drive, there is no performance benefit.

If you mean performance as in dolphins performance sure. But ramdisks are usually about 30 times as fast as a HDD or more, so I wouldn't say their is no benefit (in general, perhaps just add "for dolphin" to your post next time).
Noob question....do you have to re-install programs with ramdisk or will it work with already installed programs?
Quote:do not even waste your time with a ram drive, there is no performance benefit.

If you mean performance as in dolphins performance sure. But ramdisks are usually about 30 times as fast as a HDD or more, so I wouldn't say their is no benefit (in general, perhaps just add "for dolphin" to your post next time).

Thanks NaturV!
Yes sorry i forgot to say "for dolphin"...
Quote:Unfortunately I have to totally solve the problem of Stuttering with the following games (Resident Evil 0 Wii - Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles - Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles).
I say improvment performance for fasting reading texture from games allowed into RAMDisk.

I ve already overclocked my Cpu to 3.2 Ghz, but the stuttering is still there...same 1.5 sec of micro-freeze.(no temp problem (24° Idle - IBT 47° - 10 cycles)
OC,I thing there is not the right way for solve the stuttering issue...

then. guys decide ... Big Grin

Who tried RAMDisk? I saw a guy who solves the problems of stuttering ... Who can confirm?
Look here pls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAe7ZWrollU

I repeat.
I do not want to increase the FPS (that takes care of CPU and GPU), but I want to reduce the time of micro-freeze (aka stuttering), almost completely cancel
Quote:Yes sorry i forgot to say "for dolphin"...

That part of my post was directed at squall.

Quote:I repeat.
I do not want to increase the FPS (that takes care of CPU and GPU), but I want to reduce the time of micro-freeze (aka stuttering), almost completely cancel

Many things can cause stuttering in dolphin.

If audio is causing it disabling hle audio will fix it.

If shader caching is causing it using a ramdisk will fix it.

If the jit cache is causing it their is nothing you can do about that.

If the fifo is causing it then just use an older revision.

By the way what settings are you using?

Quote:I say improvment performance for fasting reading texture from games allowed into RAMDisk.

That won't improve anything. If a ramdisk reduces stuttering it will be because of faster read/write to/from the shader cache.
Pages: 1 2