Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Strange performance issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

tytanium0503

Hey guys first post here. I'm just starting to tinker with getting my wii games emulated and I'm surprised at the poor performance my system is experiencing. I've got a Phenom II 720 x3 overclocked to 3.4ghz, radeon 4860, and 4 gigs of ram. Super mario galaxy is basically unplayable. Even Super Mario Bros wii is about 50% speed unless I change EFB to copy texture instead of copy ram. The only game I have had run smoothly and beautifully is Zelda: Twilight Princess (wii version of course). Am I missing something here? I've been tweaking settings forever it seems like. I've been using new revisions along with the official version
try older revisions.. like in the 5ks. make sure aa is disabled and also try lower efb scales as a last resort.
The speeds you are getting are what other people with PC's of your specs are getting. EFB to RAM is pretty slow unless you have DDR3 RAM. Have you got any other games that do not require EFB to RAM?

tytanium0503

hmm well it seems like i actually can run super mario galaxy, it's just the starting area is quite slow and slowdowns occur in larger areas. I just find it funny that twilight princess runs so flawlessly. Could you explain to me what EFB scaling is in the options? i've looked for thatt setting and can't find it. I've turn anti-alias off and set resolution to 720p and that has helped tremendously it seems
EFB scaling is in the same area as AA/AF. It is a pulldown menu with options like Fractional, Integral, 1x, 2x, 3x, 0.75x
Super mario galazy runs slow on almost any game. And efb to ram will butcher performance in most games. These are both completely normal. efb scale 2x + 4xSSAA will probably work well for that video card at any resolution.