Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Microsoft releases Windows 8 on the ARM-Architecture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

so Microsoft announced that Windows 8 will run on ARM. Since ARM is a RISC architecture just like PowerPC will it make emulation easier or will it be the same? I don't know how similar ARM and PPC are, so I can't really say anything for this. What I do know is that there is no more endian conversion needed anymore, at least.

What obviously would run better are Gameboy Advance emus for example, right? Or is it so minmal that it wouldn't matter? (Of course it wouldn't matter now, because X86 cpus are much strong enough to just do 4 GBAs in a flinch)

What are your opinions about this?
Dolphin won't work on ARM without big changes.
I read an article somewhere and it stated that Windows 8 is 64-bit native and also comes with 128-bit in the OS too.
Quote:I read an article somewhere and it stated that Windows 8 is 64-bit native and also comes with 128-bit in the OS too.

Then that article is full of bs. x86 won't be 128 bit for a long time (unless you count sse/avx as making it 128 bit, in that case it already is), and even if a 128 bit x86 cpu came out tomorrow it would be completely pointless. We don't need that many memory addresses for another 30-40 years and the integer/floating point value range is too high for any modern software (with the exception of a few scientific applications) to take advantage of.