Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Tales of Symphonia on my system?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello there,

So I got the Dolphin emulator and was wanting to run Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube) with it. There are threads on it but from reading them, they either don't have the information I am looking for, or the thread itself is outdated.

Essentially, the game runs pretty well but there are a few problems:

1.) FPS is fine up until I complete a battle. the FPS goes from 60 to 30 when it shows battle stats. If I go from one part of town to another (when there is a very short loading screen of black) at times the FPS remains at 60, where as other times the loading of the next area drops to 30. (Unless this is a normal occurrence, please let me know if it is)

2.) Ghosting. The visuals look great for the most part, but I have some problems with ghosting as seen in the following image:
[Image: Ghosting.png]

3.) Audio. In the game's beautiful introduction video. There are specific parts that ALWAYS have a grinding sound. I have seen a video of somebody on YouTube showing how the game runs "perfectly" on thier laptop, but I hear the grinding at the same parts during the video. Is there any way to fix this grinding?

4.) the music seems to be a little quirky at times. It has been so long since I played the game on my Game cube, but it seems the music is missing some parts.

The following is information about my computer:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (3.4GHz/AM3/8BM Cache)
GPU: XFX Nvidia GTS 250 Core Edition (1GB/DDR3)
RAM: 4GB DDR3 RAM (1333 MHz)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

(let me know if further PC information is required)

I use the PCSX2 Emulator, which with that, it is vital to always use the most up to date version of the emulator. Thought I thought it would be the same with Dolphin, it seems that older versions work better for different games, so the following is information on the version and set-up I have for Dolphin. I have changed various things with the emulator, but did not notice much difference.

The top left corner of the Emulator Window says "Dolphin R6882"

[Image: Untitled4.png]
[Image: Untitled3.png]
[Image: Untitled2.png]
[Image: Untitled.png]

I have heard that with this game, the DSP should be set to 'Dolphin DSP-LLE Plugin. When I try this setting, I get some error messages and the game will be stuck on the Nintendo logo. The 'config.' settings under the LLE is in the following picture.
[Image: ftttg.png]

It is to my understanding that running the emulator in high visual settings requires a very powerful computer. Given the hardware that I have in my setup, should I tone down certian settings? are fine where they are? or do I have enough resources to turn settings up after I properly configure things?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
(01-29-2011, 11:46 AM)Matthewrs7 Wrote: [ -> ]1.) FPS is fine up until I complete a battle. the FPS goes from 60 to 30 when it shows battle stats. If I go from one part of town to another (when there is a very short loading screen of black) at times the FPS remains at 60, where as other times the loading of the next area drops to 30. (Unless this is a normal occurrence, please let me know if it is)

Disable audio throttle

Quote:2.) Ghosting. The visuals look great for the most part, but I have some problems with ghosting as seen in the following image:
[Image: Ghosting.png]

Its a visual effect to simulate heat. some consider it a bug but its just not as apparent on a low res tv.

Quote:3.) Audio. In the game's beautiful introduction video. There are specific parts that ALWAYS have a grinding sound. I have seen a video of somebody on YouTube showing how the game runs "perfectly" on thier laptop, but I hear the grinding at the same parts during the video. Is there any way to fix this grinding?

4.) the music seems to be a little quirky at times. It has been so long since I played the game on my Game cube, but it seems the music is missing some parts.

Both are due to incomplete HLE audio or a system that cannot maintain a stable frame rate with the LLE audio.
I do have Audio throttle unchecked and it still does it. I am using the HLE. I can't use the LLE because the game gives me errors and freezes at the "licenced by nintento' screen
Quote:I do have Audio throttle unchecked and it still does it. I am using the HLE. I can't use the LLE because the game gives me errors and freezes at the "licenced by nintento' screen

is dsplle on thread enabled?
(02-07-2011, 03:06 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I do have Audio throttle unchecked and it still does it. I am using the HLE. I can't use the LLE because the game gives me errors and freezes at the "licenced by nintento' screen

Where would I go to enable 'dsplle on thread'? Also, another area that suffers low frame rate is when I am in the 'field'

(02-07-2011, 03:06 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]

I found where it is and yes, it is enabled.
(02-09-2011, 08:28 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=3823

I downloaded the file in the first post, I did as it says to extract it and place the file in the following directory:

Sys/GC

Doing so did not work, I get the same errors, I then did what was instructed where he says you can use the file by changing the name to 'boot.dol' and it still did nothing.
You need to dump the files from a homebrew enabled Wii or GC. For the Wii, the file attached goes on the SD card and you launch it from the homebrew channel, after completion the dsp roms should be dumped to the root of the sd card. You then transfer those files to your PC (easier if you have an SD card slot on your PC since you can plug the SD card in) and copy them to the /user/gc directory.

Or you can use the HLE plugin. It is faster, but sound/music is buggy with some games and has poorer audio quality in some cases.
(02-10-2011, 04:20 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]You need to dump the files from a homebrew enabled Wii or GC. For the Wii, the file attached goes on the SD card and you launch it from the homebrew channel, after completion the dsp roms should be dumped to the root of the sd card. You then transfer those files to your PC (easier if you have an SD card slot on your PC since you can plug the SD card in) and copy them to the /user/gc directory.

Or you can use the HLE plugin. It is faster, but sound/music is buggy with some games and has poorer audio quality in some cases.

If I get the files from my Wii, will those files work for Dolphin when using Gamecube emulation? or do I have to get the Gamecube files for gamecube emulation, and Wii files for Wii emulation?
Pages: 1 2