Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How will these specs work out?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm thinking about using Dolphin for games like The Bigs 2 and other more power sucking games. Haven't used this since early '09, looks like it has progressed quite a bit since then Smile

Windows 7 Professional (x64)
AMD 8400 Triple Core 2.10 GHz
ATI Radeon 5770 HD
3gb DDR2
slow cpu, so no you can't
(01-29-2011, 07:21 AM)sixor Wrote: [ -> ]slow cpu, so no you can't

Ok well it used to run Mario Kart at 25 FPS, figured that with a better videocard and a year later it would be able to handle high end games.
CPU is the problem, not the GPU.
Your GPU is quite decent, you won't notice much of an improvement by replacing your GPU as long as you've got that CPU.
You don't necessarily have to replace your CPU though, you could overclock it still.

Try achieving over 3 GHz, that'll help a lot. (altough 4GHz would be optimal)
(01-29-2011, 06:28 AM)therhino Wrote: [ -> ]I'm thinking about using Dolphin for games like The Bigs 2 and other more power sucking games. Haven't used this since early '09, looks like it has progressed quite a bit since then :)

Windows 7 Professional (x64)
AMD 8400 Triple Core 2.10 GHz
ATI Radeon 5770 HD
3gb DDR2

you'll be able to run games on those specs but don't expect high fps or high quality graphics

My specs are similar to yours (in sig) and I can only play certain games that arent too intensive (Tales of Symphonia/Wind Waker/Muramasa etc) with around 25-50fps. games like f-zero/metroid prime run anywhere from 15-40 fps
btw I run all these games at 1280x720 windowed. If i want to play games seriously then I use the desktop
My E4300 @3ghz and reference GTX275 runs everything I've tried fine, except maybe Mario Kart but its been a while. Mario Kart keeps getting worst every Nintendo generation... so I didn't play it much.

Games do slow down a bit, but I play at 1440p.
A 2.1GHz first generation phenom is essentially equivalent of a core 2 duo running at 1.6GHz in a vector intensive application like dolphin. You need a better cpu if you want most games to run at a playable speed.
Common sense says that you should try it out before asking. It's not like dolphin is gonna rape your computer if you mess with it.