Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How much does the GPU affect Dolphins Performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Drkirby

I was thinking about getting a new GPU, and one thing that I wanted to know is how much does it affect the speed of Dolphin? I am upgrading from a GeForce 9500 GT to a GeForce 460GTX.

I have a Quad Core AMD Phenom II 925 (2.8Ghtz, still at stock speed), 4GB of Ram and the 64 bit version of Windows 7 also.
There are several threads that explain this, but generally all of the graphic detail options need a decent video card to be used at high resolutions. You'll be fine with the 460GTX.
From 9500 gt to gtx 460? Big difference! But you might need to overclock your AMD cpu...to see the full potential of the 460.
It depends on your resolution, efb scale, pixel lighting on/off, SSAA/MSAA level, pixel depth on/off, which game, what OS, which graphics plugin, which revision, and exactly how bad your current gpu and cpu are. If you are/were playing at 640 x 480 you would not notice any difference. However with higher resolutions and efb scale their will be a significant difference in most games.
still the gtx460 is not enough for max settings, 3x and 4xaa,

in zelda WW i could enable fractional + 4xaa 99% of time
now i am playing zelda tp, i had to disable AA

btw i am using gigabyte gtx460 768 oc
@sixor
You need a 5870/GTX 570 or higher to guarantee that all games can be run with 3x efb scale + 4xSSAA without any gpu bottlenecking.