Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How To Preserve User Settings every update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

cybermat

Hello, every update i'm used to copy the user folder in order to preserve the old settings and using the new version.

Is the right way to do this?

Yes. Although on rare occasions errors could occur if settings structures have been changed, if you suspect an error to be caused by this, delete your ini files.
I was coming to ask a similar question.

I dont even really care about my settings, but how the heck do I keep my saves when I get a new version of Dolphin? Pleeeeeease help!

I've searched and I read a post on here that says there's a way to change the path of saves but I dont see that option ANYWHERE. All I see is "Import Wii save" but I have no idea what it's asking for or where to find it or what.

So if someone can tell me an easy way to keep my saves through Dolphin revisions that would be wonderful!

And Dolphin devs if you could take a few minutes to make this save transferring stuff easier on us users that would be awesome too!
Just do like cybermat, move over the user folder...
the only settings that should change between versions are custom game configs.
memory card is in gc folder, copy that,

savestates should not be copied since i understand they are not compatible between svns

gamepad config, should be saved firts in a profile, then look profile folder and copy that
savestates are compatible between svns mostly... Just try loading them with the new version, if it crashes they weren't compatible Tongue
I'm not really concerned about savestates since I dont use them like... ever. I'm just wondering specifically what folder inside the User folder are GC and Wii saves stored. I understand I can just copy over the whole User folder from revision to revision but I'd prefer to just move the saves.
Can't you simply delete portable in Wii/User/Config to make it use appdata folder instead of one in the Dolphin folder?
I believe Wii saves are specifically in;
user/wii/title

With GC saves specifically in;
user/GC

At least moving those particular folders into a fresh version tends to resurrect my saves. I would guess that each folder within the 'title' directory relates to each game as I have nine of each.

*merely my own hamfisted deductions, so if anyone wants to expand...