Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: to play Dolphin you must have a VERY GOOD PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello there, how is going? o.O?

Ok, this is a suggestion, sorry if this topic does not go here >< I could not find the right forum.

At beginning, I know this is a RC, but every time that a new release has been released, it needs a better computer, at the end we going to need something like intel core i7 for running Super Mario Galaxy 1 ^^;;

my question is, does the developers know that there are a lot of people like me that has not a good computer?

Intel Core i7 970 3.2 GHz (BX80613I7970) Processor $500 US
new wii console $120US

D:

sorry for my english, I from Spain... I hope you got my point ^^;;
Improving compatibility/accuracy can reduce performance. If you don't want improved compatibility, continue using older Dolphin versions.

Emulating a console requires a computer which is more powerful than that console, which will unsurprisingly be more expensive.
If you don't think it's worth it to buy a computer which is more expensive than a Wii, then don't.
i'm seeing emulators as a software you happen to come by and then say "hey, my PC is good enough to run it, let's use it!".

You don't buy a PC only to play games, that would be the most stupid thing to do. (some peoples do have tons of money, they don't know what to do with it so they buy the highest-end gaming PC they can get...) I like using PCs because of all the possibilities you can do with them, not only games but tons of other things. So if you get yourself a new PC, and then stumble on that piece of software that happen to run fine on it, and it's free, then use it. If not, just take note of it and grab it later when you have a better PC.

Remember, PCs were made originally for business (no wonder why IBM stand for "International Business Machines"), so they had to be extremely versatile and flexible on that point.

But i might test Dolphin soon on my older Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2Ghz (San Diego core, 1mb L2 cache, Socket 939) with 4gb of DDR400 and a fair video card in it (Geforce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 256-bit bus width, PCIe 16x) and XP Home SP3 32-bit. I'll how how F-Zero GX run on this one Big Grin
You have all reason... and your opinion is incredible...

In dolphin with emulator only 40% of games are playabled.
Many many problems of configuration... wimotes, fps, etc...

Is a stupid upgrade the pc by u$500 vs wii by u$250 only for play dolphin.
i not needed upgrade... then to me dolphin was great bussiness (a prefered support problems and configuration and fight with fps) to me dolphin is wonderfull because not pay money.
To me buy a game console is much money.
The other advantage is ps2 emulator in the same computer...
but in you case without doubt buy it wii NOW.

CIAO
@meforero: are you from Brazil?

Because i know the Wii is extremely expensive there, as well as other actual games consoles and their games. That's why a lot of peoples still play Sega Master, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo and Nintendo 8-bit there, because they're much cheaper. Games consoles aren't that expensive outside Brazil though, but maybe computers are cheaper there so i understand you willing to have a good PC to play Gamecube and Wii games on it.
The developers doesn't care about people crappy computers, they are only interested in making dolphin more compatible with games and improved the accuracy. Either play on your Wii or get a better pc, or wait 10 more years!
optimization is always a key in these kinds of things, but unfortunately, they're not always doing this. The best example i could give is Colin McRae DiRT and Race Driver Grid: DiRT suck terribly on the average PC (at the time) where Grid run great on that same computer! It's all about optimizing these days, but some peoples doesn't seem to care about this.

I know that when developing MMORPGs, most of the time optimization is the top priority, because they want the most peoples to play their games from the lowest-end to the highest-end PCs, within some limits anyway.
(01-25-2011, 06:04 PM)RaptorZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]optimization is always a key in these kinds of things, but unfortunately, they're not always doing this. The best example i could give is Colin McRae DiRT and Race Driver Grid: DiRT suck terribly on the average PC (at the time) where Grid run great on that same computer! It's all about optimizing these days, but some peoples doesn't seem to care about this.

I know that when developing MMORPGs, most of the time optimization is the top priority, because they want the most peoples to play their games from the lowest-end to the highest-end PCs, within some limits anyway.

What a bad analogy Dodgy.
If you looked at the changelogs at http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/list you'd see that many people are often working on speeding up Dolphin.

Dolphin is already heavily optimized though and there's no big "miracle" optimizations left to do. Emulating Wii/GC on a PC (remember, completely different hardware architectures) is simply a very very hard problem that really can't be done at full speed on weak PCs.
i know that. Optimizing is key, but then when you can't optimize it more, it's left to the user's PC to run it fine. But there's also new lines of codes to improve certain things in games. Remember it's still in development, actually i'm glad there are so many releases of it daily, so we can clearly see its progress.
Pages: 1 2