Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 32 bit dolphin vs 64 bit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

killerchao999

Hi, I currently have a 32 bit windows vista system, with 32 bit dolphin on it. Games run alright in 32 bit, but not perfect. I have a friend who informed me that 64 bit dolphin is waaaay better at emulating gamecube, as gamecube is a 64 bit system. But the FAQ states that the only difference between the two is that 64 is slightly faster. I could install 64 bit ubuntu, but that would require me to risk my primary boot partition by resizing it. How much better is 64 bit? Is it worth installing ubuntu?
ubuntu wont give much more performance, i could compile some optimized builds for you (give me ur cpu info) or install vista/7 64-bit (best option)

killerchao999

(01-18-2011, 10:03 AM)shawnanastasio Wrote: [ -> ]ubuntu wont give much more performance, i could compile some optimized builds for you (give me ur cpu info) or install vista/7 64-bit (best option)

Optimized builds sound nice, as I don't really want to buy a new windows system, as I will probably get a new computer in a year, I've heard of these "optimized builds", but I'm guessing it's a custom tailored build of dolphin, correct? What about my computer info do you need? Also, 64 bit Ubuntu works fine, great in fact. I mean, still not 100% speed, but close.

benoitp

Hi,

1) in fact, what improvements can be seen in 64 bit edition. I assume that it's not twice faster, but between the same and twice. what is in average the ratio.
2) in Mario Kart menu(???), the fps are dropping dramatically. What influence this?
3) i experienced many parameters, then the simulation seems to be more dependent of the core speed (Q6600 stock) than the GPU (5770). Unfortunately, i can't use more than 2 core with dolphin, and it seems that there is no parameters for making the CPU workload lighter. Do you know if there is one?

Thanks
1. It depends on the game but on average I would say about 25% faster from what I've seen.
2. I don't know. But I'm willing to bet if you asked this question in the thread for that game (in the game discussion section of the forum) they would know.
3. JITIL recompiler MIGHT reduce cpu load on some games. Other than that no.

If you already have a windows OS don't bother with linux (for dolphin at least). Windows is a better OS for running dolphin and the difference between windows and linux is more significant than the difference between 32 bit builds and 64 bit builds.

As far as dolphin is concerned:
64 bit win 7 > 64 bit win vista > 64 bit win xp > 32 bit win 7 > 32 bit win vista > 32 bit win xp > 64 bit linux (ubuntu based) > 32 bit linux > 64 bit macos > 32 bit macos
i need your cpu model and info to make the builds