Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: what are your best graphics settings and revisions to use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
if anyone can put theyr most dependable revisions so i can try them out, im currently using dolphin 2.0, tried the latest revision but the performance was worse and im trying R3949 and it seems to run good, but ive been tweaking all day between revisions and half the time i forget which ticks ive crossed and lose the best config.

ive been using dolphin for about a year now my PC specs are:
CPU: Q9450 @ 2.81ghz
Mobo: P5Q
RAM:4GB 800Mhz
GFX: BFG 285GTX OC
HDD: 500gb 7200rpm

see ive just bought the 285gtx GFX card after selling an 4870 i owned for about 6mnth, now for some reason the 4870 ran dolphin awfull so i had to sell it. before that i had a 9600GT and it ran both gamecube & some Wii games very well. with the 285gtx i havnt seen much of a performance increase over the 9600gt, if not worse, the gamecube games & Wii games run around the same speeds, around 30-40fps, ive mainly been testing GC & Wii Mariokarts and lowering resolution doesnt help either so im currently tweaking and wouldnt mind some tips, if anyone can help.
I use
5016 (for WW, MP, and MP2)
6000 (anytime I need to use a savesate or have stuttering issues)
6505 (for DKCR, NSMB, SMG, SMG2, MP3, TP, and pikmin 2)

My guide is a little out of date but it still gives you a good rundown of what most of the settings do: http://naturalviolence.webs.com/graphicsgeneral.htm/

The only settings that really impact performance significantly are:
-Turn off audio throttle (make sure to set the framelimit to the proper amount if you do this)
-Turn off SSAA/efb scaled copy/pixel lighting if you have a slower gpu
-Use d3d9 (some games need opengl or d3d11 to function properly but it's very rare)
-Turn off accurate/safe texture cache (some games will need this on to function properly but most don't)
-Set efb copy to texture (some games will need this set to ram to function properly but most don't)
cool, anymore? with a similar set up to me
I just always grab the latest revision and use that. I update whenever I see something worthwhile, which is generally at least once every few days.

I don't have any notable performance issues in any games, and stuff not emulating properly is few and far between.

The only problem I have is playing with DSP-LLE, which seems to bring me to ~85% VPS in most games. I'm not sure why exactly that is, but I'm still configuring it since I only dumped my DSPs today.
revision 6505 delivers good playing expirence
all good, ill test each revision, i want the best gaming experience when my console owner buds come round and i can wow them with my 4-player Wii games on the PC.

but any slowdown or heavy framerate drops and they twist & whine about it, i say bring your dopey xbox round and well play wii games on that.

whats the difference between the revisions and dolphin 2.0? is 2.0 the best version for compatibility or something?

and what GFX plugin should i use, im getting sort of the same results for DX9 & open GL, should i try DX11?
(01-17-2011, 10:08 PM)mitzibishi Wrote: [ -> ]whats the difference between the revisions and dolphin 2.0? is 2.0 the best version for compatibility or something?

and what GFX plugin should i use, im getting sort of the same results for DX9 & open GL, should i try DX11?

Currently 2.0 is the official version, while it's a bit dated it should still be pretty compatible with most games.
But if you get graphical glitches or errors in newer games, just go to the download section and get the highest revision number (now at 6800+).
http://dolphin-emu.org/download.html

As for the GFX plugins, in general DX9 is more compatible with everything & faster. But DX11 looks cleaner & better in a lot of games.
OpenGL has relatively the worst image quality (doesn't mean it's bad itself though) but very good compatibility with almost all types of hardware.

destractions

I am currently running 5643 with great compatability and good speed in most games. I don't have the DX11 plug in though and wonder if I could get better performance using the newest version. I downloaded 2.0 and set it up to what I thought was the same, transfered over a few saves but performance seemed to drop compared to my older build and the whole thing seems like a bit of a chore considering I'm pretty happy with it right now. However I am trying to get Punch out running better and apparently I need the newest rev.

Can I add a newer version 6800 to the same folder and run both, or do I need to create a separate folder?
Quote:I don't have the DX11 plug in though and wonder if I could get better performance using the newest version.

No. 6550-current revision are painfully slow compared to older revisions.

Quote:As for the GFX plugins, in general DX9 is more compatible with everything & faster. But DX11 looks cleaner & better in a lot of games.
OpenGL has relatively the worst image quality (doesn't mean it's bad itself though) but very good compatibility with almost all types of hardware.

They all have the same image quality. The only differences between them are
1. Performance (d3d9>d3d11>opengl, in some games d3d11 can be slightly faster than d3d9 but it's rare and depends on settings)
2. Requirements (opengl will run on almost anything, d3d9 requires windows and a d3d9 capable gpu, d3d11 requires win vista/7 and a d3d10 capable gpu)
3. What effects are not properly emulated (depends on the game, for most d3d9 has the best accuracy)
4. Features (for example opengl and d3d11 use MSAA while d3d9 users are forced to use SSAA)

Perhaps you meant to say less effects emulated properly rather than lower image quality?
Yes, OpenGL seems less accurate than DX9 (say the star effects for example in SMG when compared to the actual wii),
but for some people that isn't an issue
Pages: 1 2