Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: "Auto scale" and GameCube games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Poryhack

In Dolphin 2.0 there is an advanced display option entitled "Auto scale (try to remove borders)" that has been removed as an option and made mandatory for some time in the SVN builds.

In the rather small number of wii games I've tried with the newer SVN builds this seems to be an improvement, but in gamecube games it seems to be the exact opposite. While I have no doubt that the scaling going on is true to what the gamecube actually does, games just don't look as good with it. All of the gamecube games I've seen are not natively outputting 640x480 as would be expected. (I'm quite curious as to why this is, but that's not really why I created this thread.) This option seemed really great to me when I first saw it because everything appears at its native resolution and by extension looks better.

Here's a quick comparison:
[Image: comparison.png]
I'll admit that the difference isn't huge, but If you take a close look at the image to the right you'll notice that telltale blurriness and not-quite-right aspect ratio.

I'm not really proposing anything at this point, I'd just like to hear your input.
excuse me while i connect you to the complaints department.
(01-16-2011, 11:18 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]excuse me while i connect you to the complaints department.
please wait while the complaints department gives a damn

as for the topic, works just fine for me
In the graphics options, the Aspect Ratio can be adjusted, from Auto to Stretched. In the main display options, the size of the window can be adjusted. Combinations of these options should be able to achieve your desired display.

Poryhack

(01-16-2011, 11:39 PM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]In the graphics options, the Aspect Ratio can be adjusted, from Auto to Stretched. In the main display options, the size of the window can be adjusted. Combinations of these options should be able to achieve your desired display.
It should but oddly it doesn't quite. Take a look (the one on the left is native, the one on the right is the same res but it still looks slightly fuzzy):
[Image: comparison2.png]

Call it irrelevant if you will but this is an improvement and considering how easy it would be to implement (it already was implemented once) I'm not sure why it's attracting snide remarks.
The picture look almost the same to me...(just woke up)

Poryhack

(01-17-2011, 06:37 AM)tuanming Wrote: [ -> ]The picture look almost the same to me...(just woke up)
I fully agree, but they don't look *exactly* the same. It's most noticeable on play and select.

Also keep in mind that unless you tailor your settings to a specific game (which I might add isn't even possible unless you know the native res, which you can't find with newer versions of Dolphin) the difference is gonna be more pronounced. Look at the comparison in my first post; that's what most people will be seeing.

donko

Try setting the aspect to stretched and checking auto window size under the advanced tab. This should give you the clearest possible picture by sizing the window to the resolution output by the game. Reply back to let us know if that produces the desired results.

-The Complaints Department

Poryhack

(01-17-2011, 08:58 AM)donko Wrote: [ -> ]Try setting the aspect to stretched and checking auto window size under the advanced tab. This should give you the clearest possible picture by sizing the window to the resolution output by the game. Reply back to let us know if that produces the desired results.

-The Complaints Department
That is absolutely perfect. Might I suggest that this become the default behavior for windowed mode? I know Dolphin has an amazing ability to scale up to any resolution and still look good, but as long as people aren't taking advantage of that it just makes sense that they should see the game at its native res.

I must say to the mod and admin that posted in this thread: Isn't it a bit embarrassing to be showed up by this one-post wonder?
donko wrote the code for auto window size. He is a wonder dev tho.