Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Don't Do It - Sandy Bridge and Overclocking No-No's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Gibbo Wrote:Hi there

Right guys myself and our technical guys have spent the entire weekend and this morning in discussions with Intel regarding the alarming amount of reports of Sandybridge CPU's dying and have been conducting our own testing as have Intel to find out what is a definite no no.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthr...516&page=4
(01-13-2011, 04:36 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]
Gibbo Wrote:Hi there

Right guys myself and our technical guys have spent the entire weekend and this morning in discussions with Intel regarding the alarming amount of reports of Sandybridge CPU's dying and have been conducting our own testing as have Intel to find out what is a definite no no.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthr...516&page=4

thanks for the info, i'm gonna leave mine stock for now though Smile
I saw that thread yesterday.

Lets not get nuts worrying about burning out our new processors, it has only been one guy so far, another guy managed to figure out what was wrong with his

And if you are so lucky as to burn your chip out in week, you can always rma it, intel will be none the wiser.

Keep cpu voltage under 1.375 at all cost, and probably no higher than 1.325

If you use Digital PWM like asus boards, there is no vdroop, so remember that voltage you see in cpuz is the same idle or load, unlike analog boards like the Biostar.

For now, you should probably not go over 1.55 volts on the memory controller either and I heard something out never going over 1.1 vccsa voltage. Keep these things in mind.

A 4.5-4.6 overclock at super low voltage is better than 4.8 at dangerous voltage.
-Don't raise the base clock
-Don't raise voltages too high
-Stick to the core and turbo multipliers

/thread

So many stupid overclockers out there.... This is the best overclocking non-extreme edition cpu intel has produced since pentium 4/pentium D, all you have to do is avoid doing anything extremely moronic and you'll be fine.
(01-14-2011, 04:54 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]So many stupid overclockers out there.... This is the best overclocking non-extreme edition cpu intel has produced since pentium 4/pentium D, all you have to do is avoid doing anything extremely moronic and you'll be fine.

This. My i7 920 C0 stepping OCs pretty nicely, and I've got to jump through hoops to get it stable. With an unlocked multiplier, you'd have be pretty dense to screw something up.
asus boards have other voltage issues, like setting a certain voltage to 1.1, the actual voltage is like 1.16
(01-16-2011, 09:41 AM)CiroConsentino Wrote: [ -> ]you shouldn't overclock your computer... at all!
why mess with something that might give you headaches in the future ?

For the joy of doing so! That, and you can occasionally pull in some fantastic performance gains. What's "fast enough" for you may not be enough for someone else. Some people are comfortable at 30 FPS. Me? I like a solid, fluid 60 FPS, with as few dips as possible.

Of course, modern processors are basically built to be overclocked! Enthusiast-level end-users can significantly increase the performance output of their computer without even significantly affecting the lifespan of the computer. You're basically looking at a bit more power consumption and heat production. If you can handle both, why not do it?
(01-16-2011, 09:41 AM)CiroConsentino Wrote: [ -> ]you shouldn't overclock your computer... at all!
why mess with something that might give you headaches in the future ?

You can easily gain 20-30% more performance and stretch out the life of a core 2 duo, quad, amd phenom etc.. By overclocking. I'd say the opposite, everyone should be doing it at one point if they want more performance for free.

Even with the 2500/2600... Just keep voltage around 1.35 or less, and raise the multiplier. Really how hard can it be to remember

(01-16-2011, 08:32 PM)CiroConsentino Wrote: [ -> ]yeah, if you have the money to buy expensive high-end parts... which I don't.

So overclock your CPU. More performance for free, and no danger if you do it safely.
Pages: 1 2