Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: core i7 2600k awsome!!!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
A last gen i5 can run DKCR at fullspeed on stock clock rates. So that's a definite yes. Unless recent builds have someone caused a massive slowdown that I am unaware of.
(01-13-2011, 12:43 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:around the same as a 8400GT, maybe a tad more.

From the benchmarks I've seen it performs in between an 8500 GT and 8600GT. Which is very close to a 7800gt. Which is slightly faster than a 9400gt or G210. For a graphics processing element that's embedded right into the cpu die that only uses 50mm^2 of space even you've got to admit that's amazing. And it's the first intel igp to have all of the hardware acceleration supported by current nvidia and ati gpus in d3d9 and opengl, no more z buffer errors!

Also they've been beating the i7 950 across the board in all of the cpu benchmarks I've seen so far (except maybe synthetics, I don't look at those). The only area that an i7 9xx should be able to beat them in at all is memory bandwidth, and even then it's a slight edge.

the sandybridges just have a slower interconnect, no point downgrading to a bottlenecked bridge.
Quote:the sandybridges just have a slower interconnect, no point downgrading to a bottlenecked bridge.

And? Go look at real world applications like gaming and media related. The Sandy Bridge owned it.
I rarely say this (no offense tuanming) but I agree with tuanming on this one. I have yet to see sandy bridge do anything but significantly outperform the i7 950 in every non-synthetic benchmark I have seen. And I also thought I remembered intel talking about how sandy bridge's ringbus interconnect was much faster than bloomfield.....
Sandy Bridge new feature, Quicksync. GO RESEARCH NAO!!!
no it didn't, a handful of synthetic tests are trading blows with a stock 980X, coming in at lower performance on optimised code.

Passmark still shows the 980 as the performance king for stock.

And heres the results of OpenChess
http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=943

Quote:sandy bridge's ringbus interconnect

is only valid for L3 cache, and choked by the use of integrated video.

what makes the 1156 chips a no go, and complete deal kill for me is the use of NF200 to add additional pci-e ports, the far slower DMI bus which reduces intercore communication performance, and the integrated gpu is just a weakpoint for potential failure.
Quote:Sandy Bridge new feature, Quicksync. GO RESEARCH NAO!!!

Unfortunately quicksync can only be used on an H67 board when using the igp. And the P67 board is required for overclocking. So basically you have to choose CPU overclocking + video card or quicksync.

Quote:no it didn't, a handful of synthetic tests are trading blows with a stock 980X, coming in at lower performance on optimised code.

Please reread my post:
Quote:I have yet to see sandy bridge do anything but significantly outperform the i7 950 in every non-synthetic benchmark I have seen. And I also thought I remembered intel talking about how sandy bridge's ringbus interconnect was much faster than bloomfield.....

No point in comparing sandy bridge against a cpu that costs 4 times as much and has 6 cores instead of 4. Of course gulftown will win in a synthetic benchmark, it has 6 cores and synthetics are multithreaded! Dolphin only uses two threads so, just like in most other applications, sandy bridge will outperform even the mighty gulftown.

Quote:is only valid for L3 cache, and choked by the use of integrated video.

what makes the 1156 chips a no go, and complete deal kill for me is the use of NF200 to add additional pci-e ports, the far slower DMI bus which reduces intercore communication performance, and the integrated gpu is just a weakpoint for potential failure.

You don't have to use the igp. Just grab a P67 board like the rest of the world which has the igp disabled/locked. Real world benchmarks for tasks I will actually be using against a similarly priced cpu are the only things I care about. And in this area sandy bridge dominates anything else.
Quote:what makes the 1156 chips a no go, and complete deal kill for me is the use of NF200 to add additional pci-e ports, the far slower DMI bus which reduces intercore communication performance

Respond to it all. don't pick and choose.
Quote:the far slower DMI bus which reduces intercore communication performance

Still runs applications faster regardless. DMI didn't make much if any difference with lyynfield. Nearly all non-synthetic applications actually ran faster on lyynfield than bloomfield. And most of the stuff that did run faster on bloomfield was due to the faster memory controller (can be proven by clocking the memory controller/memory down and analyzing the results).

Quote:and complete deal kill for me is the use of NF200 to add additional pci-e ports

Why does it matter? It won't affect gpu performance and/or scaling by more than 1-2%. Benchmark sites have already thrown the x8x8 makes a difference versus x16x16 and integrated pci-e makes a difference vs. external pci-e arguments both out the window.

Quote:is only valid for L3 cache, and choked by the use of integrated video.

Not on P67 where the integrated video is disabled. Which is the only platform that power users will be using.

Sandy bridge is an overall better architecture than bloomfield or lyynfield. It will lose to gulftown in SOME heavily multi-threaded situations but considering gulftown cpus cost 4 times as much I don't give a f**k.
Quote:no it didn't, a handful of synthetic tests are trading blows with a stock 980X, coming in at lower performance on optimised code.

And heres the results of OpenChess
http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=943

Synthetic tests does not reflects real world applications, nor are they useful for everyday usage... The 1st generation Core i7 980x is the top of the line 6 core CPU and it's up against a 4 core mid-range Sandy Bridge CPU. Comparing a high-end to a mid-range CPU is kind of futile.

There are many tests that shows the 4 core Sandy Bridge beating the 6 Core 980x. Now that's something!

If Sandy Bridge is already this good, I can't wait to see the top of the line Sandy Bridge EX LGA 2011, the extreme edition.
Pages: 1 2 3 4